Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which wireless internet ISP should I get?

Old 06-19-02, 09:40 PM
Banned

Which wireless internet ISP should I get?

Hello guys. I have a laptop(Windows 98SE, PIII 1.0gig processor, 512mb ram) and I am interested in getting wireless mobile internet access to enable me to surf the net at work. I am currently using DirecTV dsl internet accesss at home. But I don't have a dsl or even a dail up connection at work. Who should I call to ask about mobile interenet access service and how fast is the connection these days? Is broadband wireless access a reality yet? And how much can I expect to pay monthly? Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-20-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

correct me if im wrong but, what i think your trying to say is grab the internet from satelite? the cheaper more affordable type of "wireless internet," is that you still have to have a broadband company, jus like dsl or cable. its the equipment that you can use. from what i can recall it is a wireless ethernet card tuned into a wireless router/modem. that is what the most common type of wireless internet people use according to your needs.
Old 06-20-02, 10:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which wireless internet ISP should I get?

Originally posted by isamu
Is broadband wireless access a reality yet?
If you can have an antenna placed within line of sight of a wireless ISP's tower, yes it is a reality. I'm looking at a house that is out of DSL range, and outside of the territory of the cable company that offers acess. But it is in the range of a wireless ISP's tower. The service starts at $39/month...

But, mobile wireless broadband is another story. All of the wireless choices I know of for mobile use offer speeds of <56K modem. So if you can't just get a dialup account, I'd say go with a data enabled cell phone, or risk it.
Old 06-20-02, 08:05 PM
Banned

How do you go about data enabled cell phone? And why is the speed in the cellphone limited to 56K? Is there another type of cell phone that can deliver faster speeds?

I work in a social security office and they have interenet access through (I think) a T1 connection. I'm not one of the SS reps working there. But I don't think hooking up my laptop to the phone jack in the office is going to work, since from what I'm told a password is required for the employees there to log on. If they're using a T1,T2,T3 connection what hardware can I get for the laptop to logon?
Old 06-21-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

all you need is the power of the almighty ethernet card... software wise, im not sure if you need to have software to log in, but might as well ask the tech guy over there.
Old 06-22-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mole177
all you need is the power of the almighty ethernet card... software wise, im not sure if you need to have software to log in, but might as well ask the tech guy over there.
Tech guy said they use software and require a passord to log in. They can't give me the password since if they do, I'll have access to information only SS employees are allowed to have, so I can't hook up with them period.

Anyway, so I get the wireless modem... what else do I need?
Old 07-01-02, 10:41 PM
Banned

Hi guys O.K. here's the deal...

I'm in a government office. The workers there are on a T1 government server, requiring them to use special, government software for them to log in. When and where they surf on the net is being monitored constantly. In other words... any hopes of me surfing the net on their server is 0 to none! They are not going to allow me to piggy back on their network, period! So I'm SOL in that respect. I need an alternative.

AndyCapps wrote:

If you can have an antenna placed within line of sight of a wireless ISP's tower, yes it is a reality. I'm looking at a house that is out of DSL range, and outside of the territory of the cable company that offers access. But it is in the range of a wireless ISP's tower. The service starts at $39/month...

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by this "Wireless ISP tower", but perhaps you can elaborate more...

I was thinking about an idea today at work that might fall into something similar to this but I'm not sure how it would work, so bare with me...

I work about, oh I dunno, 4-5 miles away from my home. It's a high rise building in downtown L.A. Now... I have a dsl connection at home. Haven't had any major problems with it and it's been pretty stable speed wise. I was thinking, is there a kind of wireless ethernet card or router that will allow me to network with my PC at home(It'd have to be turned on of course) at a range of 4-5 miles? What if it could communicate with a wireless router on my desktop at home, while my desktop is connected to the net? Wouldn't that allow me to browse the net in real time at DSL speed? I realize I'd need a pretty powerful router or WAP base at home and it would probably be expensive but I don't care how much it costs. If I could surf my dsl line on my laptop via wireless router and through my desktop from a 4-5 mile distance, that would save me a huge cost in connection time.

Again, the question is, is there a wireless router or WAP with such a huge range? And how can this "wireless ISP tower" that Andy mentioned play a role into the connection? What do you think Andy or Mole? Are there any strings in this theory I can pull on? Explain why or why not, and where I can shop for the hardware needed. Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-02, 09:24 AM
Moderator Emeritus

By "wireless ISP tower" I mean a big tower like the size of a cellular phone tower, only it provides wireless Internet access. The local provider here, http://www.joink.com can only provide access to a 3-5 mile radius around each tower. So we're talking about a tall tower. I don't think your high rise would allow you to mount one on top, and I have no idea how much it would cost, but my guess would be in the $30,000-$100,000 range. So I'm not suggesting you do this, . The standard wireless routers you buy only work up to like 100 feet.

So what you're probably going to want to look into is either using a cell phone, or some other wireless solution. I would definitely think there'd be some decent options in LA, but I'm not even sure where to look these days. I had looked into Omnipoint before, but their website seems to be gone. Anyway, as far as cell phones go, I have a Motorola Startac with a data cable I can attach to my laptop. I believe the speed it can give is only 19.2K, but I haven't actually tried this out.

Hopefully someone else can help you out more, someone who has been down this road. I had an interest in it about a year or so ago and did some reading, but I'm definitely no expert.