Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB Printers?

Old 06-18-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

USB Printers?

Anyone own a USB printer? Do they work any better/worse than parallel port types?
Old 06-18-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I run a LaserJet on a parallel port and an inkjet on USB.

I think characteristics of printer and how much memory it has are much more important.
Old 06-18-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess what I should have asked is there any advantage to using a printer over USB than on a parallel port...all my other printers have used the parallel port just fine and don't see the need to dedicate a USB port to a printer when I don't have to...
Old 06-18-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recently was donated a very snazzy USB printer. The simpler connection is nice, but I think that for most print jobs the speed of the printer itself is much more determinant of the output speed than the connection, comparing it to my old parallel port model.

Don't worry about running out of USB slots, because if you add a powered hub you can have as many as you want. I have a printer, camera and mouse attached to one 4-slot hub, with one space on the hub left over and one root hub on the PC left totally unused.
Old 06-18-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only advantage i noticed was easy hookup and my computer detected it right when i plugged in... after its set up no noticable difference
Old 06-18-02, 11:19 PM

USB is the wave of the future. USB 2.0 is magnitudes faster than the old one and has much more bandwidth than what is available to your printer port. Printer ports are going the way of the old serial ports, com ports, ps2 ports, etc... Soon all you will have will be usb!

Is it better? Well it is hot swappable and has alot more bandwidth so yes. Does it really mean much to a low tech printer? Not really but many newer printers/scanners are only usb so your options are getting more limited.
Old 06-18-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also you can free up an IRQ by disabling the parallel port. this is a good thing for some of us

I also like only having to type three letters USB versus eight letters for PARALLEL for those of us who are typing handicaped this is a great thing