Reload this Page >

Any tips for a faster boot up?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting tired of my system taking almost two minutes to start up. My PC is clocked at 550 (100), should I try raising that number? I am using Win 98SE.
My system is:
533 mhz celeron
448 mb ram.
128 cache.
4 gb maxtor hd.

I am curious if there are some settings in the BIOS that could help speed up the bootup process.
Is there any programs or ulities I can use?
Only thing loading up is explorer and systray.

This thread could benefit many other members, besides myself.
Old 06-18-02, 08:13 PM

Upgrade to Windows XP.
Old 06-18-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if the windows splash screen comes up you can disable that, I think it would be done by adding a line in msdos.sys that says logo=0, but I would have to check to make sure
Old 06-18-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That hard drive must be pretty old. You could try getting a new, big 7200 rpm drive.

Dave
Old 06-18-02, 09:43 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My cousin's computer is a Celeron 667 MHz (with 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HD) and it takes under a minute to load Win98SE. Your computer shouldn't take much longer.

What part of the boot up process takes a long time? Is it after you see the Windows logo? If so, it's probably all those apps that are loading up (the things you see in the tray). If this is the problem, click on Start -> Run -> msconfig. Click on the Startup tab. Uncheck anything you don't absolutely need.
Old 06-18-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i hear antivirus programs take up some time... however it is beneficial
Old 06-18-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Longest part in bootup is the Windows 98 screen. Its there for almost 45 seconds. I'd hate to change the msdos.sys or any critical system files.

I checked the msconfig startup, only the sys tray, sch. agent, and power scheme are loading up. When I check task monitor only systray and explorer are there.

I'd want to upgrade the hard drive and video card before I even think about upgrading to Win XP. I don't plan to do that until next year.

A new hard drive would just improve the Windows performance, not likely make a faster bootup.
Old 06-19-02, 12:26 AM

A new HDD will speed up boot time considerably. Since all you are doing when booting is accessing HDD files it would be very beneficial.

An easy and free step is run "msconfig" from the start/run command prompt. Go into the startup folder and disable every program that is not neccesary. Next download a program that removes spyware from your computer. Adaware is excellent. Get rid of all those 3rd party programs you didnt even know were there. Then cleanup your HDD by deleting all the old stuff from control panel/add remove programs. Run a thorough scandisk and defrag the HDD overnight.

One thing that sped me up alot was getting rid of my slow ass multi-nic card internet connection sharing network. A router allowed me to delete tons of protocols and network settings making boot up and overall network speed much faster. If you want to link 2 pc's together get a router. Don't use multiple nics. A few years ago when I did it routers were very expensive. Now they can be had for about 50 bucks. Well worth it.
Old 06-19-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, it was still booting up pretty slow even right after a clean OS install.

But this system originally had a PIII 450 chip, and my friend sticked in a 533 celeron. Right after detecting the IDE drives, I got a message saying "CPU is unclockable, please check chipset settings. or press F1 to continue." I wonder if that explains the slow bootup, hmm?

It was set on "stop on all errors." then I went in the BIOS to "stop on: none."
Old 06-19-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grr1
well, it was still booting up pretty slow even right after a clean OS install.

Right after detecting the IDE drives, I got a message saying "CPU is unclockable, please check chipset settings. or press F1 to continue." I wonder if that explains the slow bootup, hmm?
That's just the BIOS complaining you overclocked/using wrong settings for your chip. These days you have to make sure the multiplier is right. You can still mess with the bus speed.

There should be a setting to turn of that warning. I forget what it is called in my BIOS, but maybe the one you turned off was it.

Other things you can do to speed up bootup:
Turn on fast memory check
Turn off floppy seek on boot
Change boot order to C then A
Old 06-19-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It only takes me less than an hour to defrag and run scandisk and I do that about 3x a week.

I changed the bootup order to have th hd boot first and the floppy drive last. Slight improvement. Record time now for a complete bootup is now at one minute and ten seconds.

I went to the my computer properties and clicked the performance tab and clicked file system and saw that the "search for new floppy drive" option was checked so I unchecked it.

I am still trying to figure out the memory timings, since my BIOS setup is so complicated.

Last edited by Ranger; 06-19-02 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-20-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hmmm thinking back from pIII 450 into cel 530, im not too sure that it would make much of a diference. if it were up to me, i would have kept the pIII in.
Old 06-20-02, 05:46 PM

Since you're using Windows98 (this also works for XP but not NT5), you go to run and type in "msconfig."

Then go to the start up tab and then uncheck anything you dont need starting up with your computer.