Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok, now this is REALLY getting annoying! (sound related)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A while ago I posted a thread needing help with my machine freezing while playing any game using the Quake 3 engine. I know it has to do with the sound card. It froze with the built in SB128PCI, so I bought an Audigy. It still froze. Now it has begun to freeze while playing movies in quicktime and WMP. This is REALLY starting to p me off! I've got all the newest drivers for all my parts, and am showing no conflicts. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should try (just turning all sound off isn't a solution...)? Thanks.

Machine:

Gigabyte MB
512MB ram
Athlon XP 1800+
Win XP Pro
SB Audigy Sound card
GeForce 4 4400

Old 06-18-02, 06:31 PM

what version direct x?...I'd make sure to update to latest official release (8.1 I believe it is right now) and then reinstall the drivers after you've installed directX

if that doesn't work, I'd then try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot...sounds like there could be an IRQ conflict.
Old 06-18-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Crizzar
what version direct x?...I'd make sure to update to latest official release (8.1 I believe it is right now) and then reinstall the drivers after you've installed directX

if that doesn't work, I'd then try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot...sounds like there could be an IRQ conflict.
Already done DX and drivers. The problem was ocurring with the built in sound as well, so I seriously doubt moving the card to a different slot would help.
Old 06-18-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're sure that you disabled the onboard sound via the BIOS and device manager?

And used the Multimedia setting in the control panel to select which sound device to use?
Old 06-19-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

creative drivers are very picky! Somehow, something has gotten messed up with them and as much as I hate to say it, I betcha the problem will not go away until you do a clean OS install. My advice would be to back up everything and then reinstall XP pro. Then install all of your base programs without installing any video, monitor or sound drivers at all. Once you have your base programs on, get a disc image backup of your hdd with a clean XP install with your favorite/essential programs but without any video or sound drivers.

then install video drivers. then install monitor drivers. then if all is still well, create a system restore point and install the latest XP audigy drivers from compaq. I just went through this exact process a few days ago and everything went smooth. Good luck!

latest audigy drivers for XP
Old 06-21-02, 05:33 AM

Ok...um...if ya really want to do all that just for a reload...have at it...it's not necessary though. lol I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Here's some insigt. You say the problems occur only with quake engine games....think about what was said for a moment.....think.....why would this be hardware? I t stands to reason that if you were truly having a hardware issue...all sound for all games would be having a problem, or sound problems elsewhere. Because you have a problem that is related to quake engine apps only this is obvious to me a software issue. Chances are it's a driver problem. Games have to communicate with the hardware using drivers. So there is a problem with the way it's communicating. Now also keep in mind some other design information. Windows XP came loaded with a large bank of drivers to work with Windows XP. Including yes most current sound drivers. Now, you say you have the latest drivers...well...latest drivers do not necisarily mean that it's good, better, and in most cases is unnecessary to get them. It's that old addage, if it aint broken don't fix it. So I'm pictuing this in my head. Knowing that XP came with drivers which worked perfectly fine for your SB128. I'm willing to bet you may have also installed drivers for that onboard card by dl them from creatives website...theres 2 drivers...and now you have the audigy...hey you've got 3 now, and if you dl another set from creative for the audigy you now have 4 different sets of drivers and quake and windows are having a hayday.

I'd do this. Lets recall when it was working fine. I'm assuming it worked at somepoint because if one quake engine game isn't running i can't picture them buying several others even though they know quake engine is having issues. So when did this start happening? Am I correct that these games worked before?

And for current and future reference. DirectX8.1 was shipped with XP. And XP has this rather lovely program which can save a lot of headaches called...system restore. Believe me it works, because hey, i use it. Before you install that next program, before that new driver upgrade. Create a restore point...take about 30 seconds...then if there are problems after the change...you get to go back. Also there is a feature called driver rollback.

Answer. This may change pending the answers to my questions. But if a reload is inevitable. Take the audigy out of the sytem and anyother cards other than what the machine came with...format or write zeros and reinstall windows XP...just a plain oldfashion typicall installation...course you don't have the choice in XP . Then if all basicfuntionallity is working, i.e. sound in general is working...then shut the machine off..put in the audigy....turn her on and install it acording to it's instructions which is probably just through in the cd and follow it's instructions. then if the sound is working fine...install the game...idealy it should be working. If so, great...leave it and never install any newer drivers unless you need to fix some problem that the current drivers are having.