Reload this Page >

Need help setting up slave hard drive.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is my first time adding a hd. I've only put in graphics and network cards before.
I'm trying to add a slave hd a western digital 20 GB hd. The wd hd is an old one from my old PC, I just want to use it as storage for now. BUT I'm having some trouble figuring out the jumper settings and the cable ribbon connections. I'm using Win 98SE.

Here's an overview of what it looks like in the bootup:

Primary Master: Maxtor 4GB hd
Primary Slave: None <---- that is where I want to put the new hd.
Secondary Master: Creative Lab 52x CD drive
Secondary Slave: AOpen 16x DVD drive.

I looked at the ribbon cable setup, the p. master was connected at the end of the cable while the other end is connected directly thru the mobo, and there's another avl. connection in between so I plugged that pluh in and during bootup, it failed to recognize all the IDE drives, and asked for a system disk, which I don't have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ranger; 06-18-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-18-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure the jumper on the WD is set to slave. Plug in the IDE cable and the power cable. When the computer boots up go into the bios and set it up to detect the hard drive either automatically or manually. Save settings and restart. Windows should recognize the drive. If this doesn't work try checking the IDE cable to make sure it is plugged in securely. I've had experience where the cable became slightly detatched from the motherboard, but it wasn't noticeable to the eye. I had to push it back in. These are my suggestions. I hope they help.
Old 06-18-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see where I can set the slave mode on the wd hd. I only see three outlets, one for the IDE, the middle one I'm not sure of, and the power outlet.
So, I should just leave the mx hd where it is now? Like should it be at the end of the cable ribbon directly connected to the mobo.
The BIOS is set to AUTO Detect on all IDE drives/

Sorry for my lack of knowlodge on this subject.
Old 06-18-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grr1
I don't see where I can set the slave mode on the wd hd. I only see three outlets, one for the IDE, the middle one I'm not sure of, and the power outlet.
So, I should just leave the mx hd where it is now? Like should it be at the end of the cable ribbon directly connected to the mobo.
The BIOS is set to AUTO Detect on all IDE drives/

Sorry for my lack of knowlodge on this subject.
like this

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp
Old 06-19-02, 12:11 AM

One setting I never understood, cable select. What is the point of it? Seems like you could get by fine with just master and slave, why the third setting?
Old 06-19-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kevlar
One setting I never understood, cable select. What is the point of it? Seems like you could get by fine with just master and slave, why the third setting?
What if you have THREE hard drives?

Thanks, gscribbs, will try find it tomorrow.
Old 06-19-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kevlar
I guess that way you never have to change jumpers again. they now seem to come cable select. so in theory you just put them on the cable the way you want them to be master or slave and the system works great . If you want to change a drive to a slave and add a new master then just move the cable no need to pull the drive out to change a jumper.

Not trusting things like this I will stick to the ole master and slave settings

Grr1 if you have three hard drives the ide channel can only take two on the primary and two more on the secondary anyway so the third would not be able to share the cable and use cable select while being on the same channel
Old 06-19-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice link gcribbs.

Cable select was used on older systems, but it's making a comeback with the new ATA66, ATA100, and ATA133 drives. Basically you just used to plug in your IDE drives with a basic 40 wire IDE cable, and it didn't matter where on the cable you put the drive. The jumpers on the drive told the BIOS if the hard drive was a slave or a master. Now you get an 80 wire IDE cable, and the hard drive setting depends on where you attach the hard drive to the cable. The old 40 wire cables used to have connectors that were the same color. The 80 wire cables have 3 different colors to let you know where to plug them. The colors are blue (motherboard), black (master), and grey (slave).

If you have an IDE cable that has the different color connectors, then set your hard drive jumpers to cable select and attach them to the appropriate connectors. If you have an IDE cable where all of the connectors are the same color, then set the WD to slave (use gcribbs link to see an example) and attach it to the cable connected to the Maxtor. If you are missing a jumper for the drive you can usually pick one up at your local mom and pop computer shop.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

heh. I think I finally understand the jumper settings, but npw I realize I don't have a jumper stunt or the little thing to put over the 10 pin outlet.

Is there anything else I can use to cover up the two pins to change it to slave mode?