Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Really wierd Internet Explorer issue

Old 06-18-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really wierd Internet Explorer issue

I have IE 6.0 on my Win XP laptop (1.2GHz AMD, 512 Ram)

Lately, when I click a link on a webpage, it will take me to another, totally unrelated, page. For instance, I was on Medscape and clicked a button saying "CME Reports" when I clicked it I got the DVDTalk homepage...

ANy idea what is going on? Is my computer just assuming that since I spend all my time here that this must be where I really want to go?
Old 06-18-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scanned for viruses? Used the Internet Explorer repair tool? Cleared history and cookies and temp folder? That's strange, that has never happened to me, and I've had plenty happen to me
Old 06-19-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

did all of that minus the repair tool...where do I get that?
Old 06-19-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whats really strange is that just happened to me. The DVDTalk main page is not in my bookmarks and its not my homepage. I have several areas of DVDTalk bookmarked but not that one. I went to a page I havent been to for a while (rootshell.com) and it was dead and it loaded DVDTalks main page. WTF?
Old 06-19-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
did all of that minus the repair tool...where do I get that?
* Go to Control Panel... Add/Remove Programs ... Microsoft Internet Explorer

Click on Add/Remove

* Select Repair Internet Explorer
Old 06-19-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
Whats really strange is that just happened to me. The DVDTalk main page is not in my bookmarks and its not my homepage. I have several areas of DVDTalk bookmarked but not that one. I went to a page I havent been to for a while (rootshell.com) and it was dead and it loaded DVDTalks main page. WTF?
Sounds like the same thing...

Stevevt, I don't show internet explorer in add/remove...It is only in the add/remove windows components and there is no repair in there at all.
Old 06-19-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stevevt, I don't show internet explorer in add/remove...It is only in the add/remove windows components and there is no repair in there at all.
Sorry. Must not be there in XP.

Probably somewhere else, though.
Old 06-19-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-03.html
Old 06-19-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this thread yesterday and I thought it was just not loading a page and going to your homepage. I just kind of snickered then it happened to me today.
Old 06-19-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant to use the IE repair tool in system info. Go to start>programs>accessories>sys info and click on tools and click on IE repair. That is the way I do it, but I am using win 98SE.
Old 06-20-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

haha.... maybe ur comps are high... thats sounds weird... computers arent supposed to take you anywhere else besides what you commanded...
Old 06-20-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did the whole repair thing and it is still doing it??? HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!! It is driving me friggin batty.
Old 06-20-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did the whole repair thing and it is still doing it??? HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!! It is driving me friggin batty.
Huh! That repair tool should have fixed it! Have you tried Netscape Navigator? Same thing happen? May have to try uninstall IE completely and reinstall it. Have you checked in msconfig for any suspicious programs in startup?
Old 06-21-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aw hell...I am just going to reinstall the bastage cause now it is taking me to places I have never been (Where do you want to go today? INDEED)...Apache, Texas A&M??? I wouldn't be surprised if it is a virus but I have scanned a couple times with the latest definitions and all....AHHHHHHH
Old 06-21-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grr1, I used the tool that Stevevt put in the link...The repair tool is not on XP (that I can find at least)
Old 06-21-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This hasnt reoccured in my box yet but XP and IE6.0 do some odd things. I dont know if its because they are so tightly integrated or what but now one user can get into Hotmail. It seems to me that changing things in Hotmail/Messenger has an effect on IE and possibly the user settings in XP. I am having a very hard time getting these parts to act independantly of each other.
Old 06-21-02, 12:11 PM

how do i remove windows messenger? the one that comes preinstalled on windows xp? it just takes up space
Old 06-21-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by howthehell
how do i remove windows messenger? the one that comes preinstalled on windows xp? it just takes up space
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-05.html
Old 06-24-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

looks like the reinstall worked...It hasn't done it [yet]
Old 06-27-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After 6 days, the Damn_thing decided to start doing it again!!!
Old 06-27-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you also scanned for and removed all Adware/Spyware on your system?

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
Old 06-27-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It did it to me tonight again too. It hasnt done it in a while. I dont have any Adware/Spyware. And it went to the DVDTalk homepage. WTF? That shouldnt have even been cached.
Old 06-28-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

joltaddict, What are your settings in the temporary files options...I switched it to "check everytime you visit the page" and it seems to do it less (but not perfect) I then increased the cache size and that seems to have stopped it (for now) - I had it at a minimum before but raised it to 5MB
Old 06-28-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have always had it set to Check Every Time. Im wondering if were getting pinged or something. Last night I was on a password protected site when it happened and I had to log back in.

It just feels like some sort of exploit to me. I dont have anything to back that up but why the DVDTalk homepage? Particularly after the reinstall when I hadnt gone there yet. And Im really not diging the whole inbred OS/Browser/Messenger thing that XP has going on.

And what the hell else do we have in common anyway? I doubt we have the same ISP. Im with Verizon DSL.

Last edited by joltaddict; 06-28-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny you say that...Lately every so often I am getting a username password request at DVDTalk on certain pages...I have Ameritech DSL...A Sony laptop, my virus protection is PC-cillin (I have had problems with norton in the past), and I can't think of a dern thing about what might be causing this...and I checked for adware and I have ziltch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.