Reload this Page >

WinXP Pro license number?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-17-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought WinXP pro and in the box there were two identical winxp pro cds....but only one license. Can I buy just a license? Can I use a winxp home license to activate winxp pro? I would love to install this on two computers since I have two cds, but its useless without the license.

This was OEM packaging by the way. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The second CD is useless, what you're paying for is the license. In other words, you can can buy another license for the same price you paid for the first one.
Old 06-17-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No. 9 Software has licenses for the Home version for $50, but I don't see any Professional ones. That might change, though (they stock them occasionally).

RD
Old 06-18-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DivxGuy
No. 9 Software has licenses for the Home version for $50, but I don't see any Professional ones. That might change, though (they stock them occasionally).

RD
I stand corrected, the CD is worth something. But if you look at the price differences, in most cases not a whole lot (and in the case of Win2k, it's $5 cheaper with the CD). What exactly does it mean if you get a CD-key w/o a COA?
Old 06-18-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

COA=Certificate of Authenticity.

Some of these discs have the licence key on the disc itself, from what I gather. To some people, having a disc with the license on a paper certificate is worth more.

No. 9 Software is a surplus software dealer, so they aren't able to keep every item in stock at all times.

The WinXP Pro disc is worth keeping, IMO.

RD
Old 06-18-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some of these discs have the licence key on the disc itself, from what I gather. To some people, having a disc with the license on a paper certificate is worth more.
OK, that's kinda what I thought.

Regardless, having two licenses and one CD is the same, legally, as having two licenses and two CD's. Though the second one is a nice back-up.
Old 06-18-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

COA=Certificate of Authenticity.

No. 9 Software is a surplus software dealer, so they aren't able to keep every item in stock at all times.

The WinXP Pro disc is worth keeping, IMO.

RD
Unfortunately neither of my disscs have a registration number on them. From what I've heard, non-profits can get licenses for $25. I don't know where I would go to get one, but for $25 I wouldn't complain a bit.
Old 06-19-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you tried calling Microsoft for a new license?
Don't they give new licenses for like $10? It was just something I heard a few months ago, I don't rememeber where though.