Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching DVDs On Your Laptop While Traveling - How Long Does The Battery Last For?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Watching DVDs On Your Laptop While Traveling - How Long Does The Battery Last For?

Old 06-17-02, 05:58 PM

I am traveling internationally and purchased the Power DVD software so that I can watch films in transit.

One question - how long will the battery last?

I have a Toshiba 4600 series.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-17-02, 06:48 PM
X
Administrator

Why don't you try it?

I don't think anybody can tell you better than you can find out for yourself.
Old 06-17-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

depends how well you have conditioned your battery

I get the same amount of life off my battery while watching dvds, as I do with pretty much standard operation.
Old 06-17-02, 07:04 PM
X
Administrator

Although this has nothing to do with the actual battery life of your particular model playing DVDs, my notebook surprised me by lasting only 1/2 its normal computing battery life when playing a DVD.
Old 06-17-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This likely doesn't help you but maybe give you some idea.

On my IBM 600e I can usually watch ONE full movie (usually just under 2 hours). I usually carry one to two extra batteries depending on the length of my trip.

As mentioned, try it once before traveling.
Old 06-18-02, 05:14 AM

OK. It lasts for just over an hour.

My next question: has anyone used the electrical outlet on a plane? If so, how does it work?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-18-02, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by MatthewCho
OK. It lasts for just over an hour.

My next question: has anyone used the electrical outlet on a plane? If so, how does it work?

Thanks,
Matt
I use it all of the time on American. I have the targus universal model.
Old 07-01-02, 11:41 AM

A suggestion for people with dvd's. Your best bet with watching movies for a long time on a computer would either to be make a rip of the dvd(convert it to divx) or maybe to copy the files to the harddrive and play them from there(Im not sure how much power the harddrive will take up). Make sure you don't put the divx on CD or that kinda defeats the purpose. The reason being is that the DVD rom takes up a lot more power then from the harddrive (spinning + laser constantly on). Although with a divx because of the higher compression it might be possible that 100% of the processor with be used especially with the newer divx(5.0+) although transfering the data from vob's on the harddrive might be just as bad. The good thing about doing this method is that you can have an extra battery in the slot that the dvd should go(on some models). This helps in that if you are watching a movie on a dvd drive and you have only one slot for a battery and the battery runs out you have to shutdown the computer and replace the battery. Although dvd's can contain roughly 9 gb per side so you need to have lots of room on your computer harddrive. A divx however is only about 650-700megs but can take forever to compress or to download. About 2-16hours compressing depending on the hardware you use and the software.

The process of ripping a dvd to a harddrive can be considered illegal because you have to use anti-dvd-protection. Also having a divx you don't legally own could also be considered illegal.