Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions on IMATION CD-Rs?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-17-02, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems Office Depot has a pretty good deal on IMATION CD-Rs (100pack for $10 after rebates). Has anyone had experience with these CD-Rs, are they any good?
Old 06-17-02, 12:49 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They've always been fine for me. But then just about any CD-R has been fine for me. I consider them in the upper half in quality.
Old 06-17-02, 01:26 AM

I've found TDK CD-R's to be good and at a good price too....
Old 06-17-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't reccomend these, but other people have had better luck than I have. It might just be my burner, but Imation's don't work at all and Memorex's work perfect for me.
Old 06-17-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Imation CD-Rs are made by CMC Magnetics, which isn't the greatest company out there. Still, at that price they're worth picking up.

My strategy is, I keep a spindle of cheap CD'Rs around to use for "disposable" purposes --- in other words, things I won't care about long-term. Right now, I have a spindle of Imation. Best Buy has a spindle of 50 ProMedia on sale for $2.99 after instant and mail-in rebates, so I'll probably pick some of those up.

I also keep a spindle of "the good stuff" --- my preference is Fuji, which are made by Taiyo Yuden. I use these for anything I want to keep.

I haven't had any trouble with Imation on my TDK 32X burner, but they may be unplayable in five years.
Old 06-17-02, 09:12 AM
Banned

I still have some old Imations (4X) that are high quality Taiyo Yuden's but the newer ones are cheap CMC Magnetics that I would only use for disposable purposes. I will not be buying any more Imations unless they switch back to Taiyo Yuden.
Old 06-17-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Been using Imations for a couple of years now and never had a problem and I just so happend to pull something off the very first disc I burned...so no problems there.
Old 06-17-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just recently used some Memorex and Imation at work. The Memorex all worked perfectly, the Imations didn't fare as well.
Old 06-17-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've used about 40 Imation picked up on sale (the old 4x) no trouble at all.
Old 06-18-02, 01:31 AM

I got them today, they are good so far. Man what a sweet deal If I get the rebate.

100 CD-RS
100 Slim Jewell Cases

for about $12 after taxes.
Old 06-18-02, 06:01 PM

I've been using Imation almost exclusively for the past 3 years. It's not really for any reason, as I have had good results with most brands except those crappy cdrs with no labels. You know what i'm talking about? The ones you get in those huge spindles that are blank on top? Those really really really suck. I do not use them for throw-away purposes, i hate them with a passion.
Old 06-18-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i only buy imation usually. i got a pack the other day and was surprised that the disc's bottom were black (like a playstation game). looks cool, hope they work good.
Old 01-05-03, 03:48 PM
Stealth Moderator

A bunch of my Imation Neon Colored CD's have been peeling. Anyone have this problem?

It is the top layer that peels off, making the CD look transparent. I think that if I can stick an adhesive label on the top, then the CD will read again, no?
Old 01-05-03, 03:51 PM
Stealth Moderator

I hope the "standard" Imation CD-Rs don't peel (the silver ones). I've used all the Neon ones, but I still have over 150 of the standard silver ones left ...
Old 01-05-03, 04:04 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by namja
A bunch of my Imation Neon Colored CD's have been peeling. Anyone have this problem?

It is the top layer that peels off, making the CD look transparent. I think that if I can stick an adhesive label on the top, then the CD will read again, no?
No. If you can see through it you lost your data. You at least need the reflectivity of the top layer.

I never used those colored ones. And I've never had a CD peel unless I scraped it off myself for security reasons before throwing it away.

I always though the data was burned right up against that reflective material on top (the inner side of the label). But I wonder if it's burned a little more "in" the CD and covering the clear area with some highly reflective material would fix it?
Old 01-05-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

The only problem I've ever had w/ Imation brand is they wouldn't read in my old Kenwood car cd player. I suspected that it was the cd player, though, b/c I never had a problem with them anywhere else.
Old 01-05-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up 10 of those 100 packs and have gone through about half of them in the last month with no errors. No clue about long term though.
Old 01-05-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've been archiving all my pr0n to imation 12x 80min cdrs
no problems in my 8x4x32 plextor drive
Old 01-05-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope the "standard" Imation CD-Rs don't peel (the silver ones). I've used all the Neon ones, but I still have over 150 of the standard silver ones left ...
what X said. i have some PNY CD-R's (they're the worst crap ever!) that started to peel. it's toast. luckily it was only some divx stuff.
Old 01-06-03, 02:39 AM
Stealth Moderator

... Most of the CDs that peeled are over 1 year old. But there is one that is less than 2 month old that started to peel.

They were non-essential CDs anyway (mp3 backups) so no big loss. But if the regular Imation CDs (the silver ones, not the neon ones) begin to peel, I'm gonna &^&*^#&@&%(@*(@(%
Old 01-06-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

... Most of the CDs that peeled are over 1 year old. But there is one that is less than 2 month old that started to peel.

They were non-essential CDs anyway (mp3 backups) so no big loss. But if the regular Imation CDs (the silver ones, not the neon ones) begin to peel, I'm gonna &^&*^#&@&%(@*(@(%
well, my regular imations haven't peeled, and i've had some for 3-4 years.
Old 01-06-03, 11:54 PM

Your biggest consern with Imation isn't trying to read the discs after they're burned. The biggest problem you'll run into with 'cheap' discs is you'll run into burning problems.

I use Imation as 'general' burn & 'throw away' discs which is fine, but I'd suggest getting better quality discs for more important stuff (i.e TDK or Maxell). Also note that a LOT of 'cheaper' discs won't guarantee high speed burns (usually 24x tops). My 40x burner sometimes spits out Imations like rotten eggs.
Old 01-07-03, 08:38 AM
Banned

I had a made in Taiwan Imation fail last night.

Anyway, I would say the same thing about Maxell CD-R's; The older ones made in Japan are quite good, the newer Taiwan ones are crap and should be avoided.