Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

So I sold my computer, how long should i warranty it for?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-16-02, 09:14 AM

I sold (or will sell) my computer to a friends brother. They are both cool with me, but i don't want to forever be his tech support.

How long should i warranty his computer for? If something goes wrong, i don't mind fixing stuff, but i don't want to be fixing all his future problems.

How long should i warranty his computer for?
How long should i give him if he wants a refund?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 06-16-02, 09:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Perhaps it all boils down to how much responsibility they are prepared to take for the PC they have chosen to purchase.... if they want a 12 month guarantee on a cheap PC then you might have to sell it elsewhere.

If the machine is in good condition and has served you well, I would suggest no refunds unless total irreparable failure occurs within a week or two of handover and the failure was not down to their own actions. If you make out a receipt, it might be worth including a note to the effect that (taken into account when setting the price) the purchaser assumes all risks after xx days.

Does the friends's brother know any other technically proficient people? Or is your gut feeling that this is a deal that might later come back to haunt you?

You'll have to be confident that they wont fool around at all with the hardware and not too much with the software or else you taking unlimited liability even for a week is risky....

.... three months warranty is something I see for secondhand items but sometimes if they are very cheap it just says "as is" and the buyer assumes all risk.

I suppose it depends a lot on the PC's age and condition and what you are charging: perhaps you could make a comparison with secondhand outlets and see what they do and whether your selling price is substantially higher/lower .

So, if you are selling it very cheap, you could say you'll check it out for them if anything fails within a month but that they have to keep a list of any soft/hardware that they've added. Likewise, they'll have to take responsibility for any virus issues: perhaps you could install f-prot or one of the Windows freebies that are mentioned on other threads and show them how to update.

If you are selling at closer to market secondhand price then perhaps you'll give them the full three months or whatever the deal is locally.

Not the same as your circumstances but I gave my old computer to my sister and her family but said it was on the basis that they make use of a local techie-type guy who would help them out for free: I'd just replaced the motherboard so thought that it should be ok for a year.

I think they managed to foul it up after 4-5 months of light (non-internet) use: I have a niggling doubt as to whether they'll get their friend to look it over or will just spend a fortune on a new one - they aren't too clever with money....

Last edited by benedict; 06-16-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-17-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you mean a software-related problem (like they make Windows blow up), you might want to do what I do - make an image, with Ghost or DriveImage. Of course to make this work, you either need a second partition or a second hard drive.

When I get the system as perfect as it's going to get, I temporarily slave another hard drive and run Ghost to it. Then I take out that slave drive and burn the Ghost iage to a CD. I give that to the "customer" (i.e. - friend/family member) along with a bootdisk. If they ever destroy the PC, they can restore it very easily.

I know this isn't a new idea, since most PC manufacturers do this. But at least I know that it's being restored to what I think is perfection, and that's what counts!
Old 06-17-02, 02:36 PM

Benedict and Prof. Frink, sorry for replying so late, as i didn't get an email that anyone has replied to my thread!

I like Benedicts idea of no refunds unless total system failure within two weeks. Being the political science student i am, i will write a sales receipt that will cover me and make sure everything is out in the open.

I am not worried about hardware failures at all, but i am worried about software. I will probably use norton ghost as the good professor suggested and give them a boot disk. Another thing i am worried about is if they want to add new hardware - if that happens then I am in no way going to help them. Well, i don't want to sound to hard, but if they hose it, they're on their own.

If this was some chump co-worker or student, i wouldn't mind being a hardass towards the purchase. But since this is my friends brother, who doesn't seem extremely computer savvy, i don't want to cut him off completly.

Professor Frink: I have both Ghost and Drive Image and i am more familiar with drive image. However, i do know that more people recommend Ghost. Is Ghost that much better?

Thanks
Old 06-19-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shafted!
I have both Ghost and Drive Image and i am more familiar with drive image. However, i do know that more people recommend Ghost. Is Ghost that much better?

Thanks
I wish I could give you a solid answer, but I have never used DriveImage. Sorry. However, I can tell you that Ghost has worked flawlessly every time I've used it. There is even a way to split the Ghost image into two files if it is larger than 700 MB (i.e. - the size of a CD-ROM).

If you or someone you know has purchased a motherboard recently, you probably have a copy of Ghost - it typically comes on the mobo driver CD.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hmm in my opinion, there should be no waranty, since ur comp is used, how ever if something does break down, like HD, then check it out or something like the others have said up above...
Old 06-19-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mole177
hmm in my opinion, there should be no waranty, since ur comp is used, how ever if something does break down, like HD, then check it out or something like the others have said up above...
agreed, i sold some of my old home theater stuff to a friend of mine and i told him straight up your getting this as is, i can't afford to be liable to replace anything that breaks, thats not fair to the seller(you sell it because you don't want it anymore, why should you be responcable for it breaking). Everything i sold him was working fine so its not like I sold him something i knew would break. That would be the only reason you should pay for any repairs, if you knew it was going to break, otherwise its his risk for buying used gear.
Old 06-19-02, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by hypeiv

agreed, i sold some of my old home theater stuff to a friend of mine and i told him straight up your getting this as is, i can't afford to be liable to replace anything that breaks, thats not fair to the seller(you sell it because you don't want it anymore, why should you be responcable for it breaking). Everything i sold him was working fine so its not like I sold him something i knew would break. That would be the only reason you should pay for any repairs, if you knew it was going to break, otherwise its his risk for buying used gear.
Good point, i know my stuff is in prime condition, i should not be responsible for it breaking. I don't think i will offer a warranty after all.