Reload this Page >

Dumb question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dumb question.

Old 06-16-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb question.

I currently have a 4 GB Maxtor (yeah yeah I know its small)hard drive that has been working great for a while on a used computer I got from a friend. I have another old computer that died on me last year. Cause of death: unknowm. I think the memory (the memory I am sure of) is bad and possibly the hard drive was bad (At the time I didn't feel like shelling out to fix it). But the hard drive on the dead computer was a Western Digital 20 GB HD.

My question is: is it worth trying to format the WD HD, and using it as a secondary HD, like a slave disk? Or its not worth the trouble if I think the HD is bad. And would it be safe since the Maxtor HD has all the critical stuff, like the Office software and Windows files. Could I use the 2nd HD as long as the Max is the open, working HD?

Last edited by Ranger; 06-16-02 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-16-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk God

sure.. why not
go to western digital's webpage and get the zero to write zeros to that old drive and the diagnostic tool.. to make sure it doesnt have any major problems

but if you can get it slaved.. definitly use it as a storage drive.. like you said, if there is nothing you cant afford to lose on it.. then its definitly worth the time
Old 06-16-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

plus bad memory can cause data corruption that can look like hard drive problems.

I would do what Twikoff suggested. you might be surprised
Old 06-16-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I definitely want to slave it and use it as storage. Reason why I know for sure memory's bad on the old PC, is when I tried to format the HD thru DOS command prompt (I can't load Windows on the WD HD ), I get an error saying that I cannot format the HD, b/c there's not enough memory present. There's 160 MB ram of memory (obviously bad) so surely that should've been enough

So its safe to do this, I don't have to worry about the WD somehow damaging the Maxtor HD or other components say like the memory.

Since I can't format the WD HD from my old PC, should I stick it in anyway and format it in Windows. Like right click the disk and click format. Or the other way twiloff mentioned is better.
Old 06-16-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grr1
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I definitely want to slave it and use it as storage. Reason why I know for sure memory's bad on the old PC, is when I tried to format the HD thru DOS command prompt (I can't load Windows on the WD HD ), I get an error saying that I cannot format the HD, b/c there's not enough memory present. There's 160 MB ram of memory (obviously bad) so surely that should've been enough

So its safe to do this, I don't have to worry about the WD somehow damaging the Maxtor HD or other components say like the memory.

Since I can't format the WD HD from my old PC, should I stick it in anyway and format it in Windows. Like right click the disk and click format. Or the other way twiloff mentioned is better.
follow twikoffs advice. no unless the drive itself is damaged and will cause a short in the electrical system of the PC I do not see a way for it to hurt the maxtor.

If it is bad any data saved to the WD could be lost however.
Old 06-16-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gcribbs

follow twikoffs advice. no unless the drive itself is damaged and will cause a short in the electrical system of the PC I do not see a way for it to hurt the maxtor.

If it is bad any data saved to the WD could be lost however.
Okay. I'll try it next weekend. Be on the lookout for another thread titled "How do I ...?"

Thanks.
Old 06-16-02, 04:39 AM

Listen.

The 20gb hard drive is likely faster than the 4gb hard drive. Check the model numbers to make sure. If the 20 is faster (most likely), format it, run scandisk on it (full surface scan) and if everything is ok, move everything over to the 20gb. Backup everything to CDRs just to be safe. Use the 20gb as your main drive as it will improve system performance. If you only have 1 ide cable, ditch the 4gb hdd (for now) as it will slow down your system. Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by agent2099
Listen.

The 20gb hard drive is likely faster than the 4gb hard drive. Check the model numbers to make sure. If the 20 is faster (most likely), format it, run scandisk on it (full surface scan) and if everything is ok, move everything over to the 20gb. Backup everything to CDRs just to be safe. Use the 20gb as your main drive as it will improve system performance. If you only have 1 ide cable, ditch the 4gb hdd (for now) as it will slow down your system. Hope this helps.
I agree however since he has doubts that the Wd hard drive is stable or any good I would wait a bit to do this.

i would test it for a few weeks then if it is ok then I agree that your suggestion is a good one.
Old 06-16-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'd wait a while to check it out for stability. I am pretty sure my PC has another IDE cable.

I just put in the WD HD right above the Maxtor and eblow the floppy disk. I'm having trouble getting the right IDE connections. I only can find 2 of the 40 pin (I think that's what its called either that or the wide plug) and only one of the small pin connection that plugs in the last right outlet. The first 40 pin plug, I tried was connected alongside with the DVD player and when I plugged that in, nothing happened.

Then I tried the second 40 pin plug that was connected to my Maxtor HD, and in the bootup, during the detecting IDE drives, it said "None", it skipped the dvd player, the maxtor, the cd drive, and the WD HD. I can't figure out the connections for the slave drive.

Is there anything I should look for on the cables? Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by Ranger; 06-16-02 at 05:40 PM.