Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dealing with a spammer

Old 06-14-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dealing with a spammer

I got on a list to yourfreedvds.com. They repeatedly sent me the same mindless garbage, and I eventually unsubscribed. They sent more after I unsubscribed, so I unsubscribed again. I figured everyone makes mistakes and someone is just trying to do their job, albeit poorly. Well, they have sent me more junk. I'd like to know how I can punish these people short of going to court. I have both unsubscribe requests, by the way. Thanks.
Old 06-14-02, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Use a filter, and never reply to spammers to unsubscribe. Unless you are really motivated for other reasons, I think it's a better use of time to do that than to pursue them. It just means you spend more time because of them.

But there are websites about going after them. If they are not sophisticated, you can find out who their ISP or host is and contact them.
Old 06-14-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
Use a filter, and never reply to spammers to unsubscribe.
I second that. The reason is you let them know that you are real person there.
Old 06-14-02, 03:50 PM
Banned

But my Yahoo email I can only block 100 email addresses and it's full.
Old 06-14-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can create a filter in yahoo to find something in common in each of the e-mail headers and throw the e-mails in the trash before they go to your inbox. Or remove some of your other blocked e-mail addresses. If they're from spammers, they're probably not doing any good any more. They've probably already altered the "from" address. Plus, by blocking the e-mail address, that also tells spammers that there's a real account there that they can just alter the from details and spam some more.
Old 06-14-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Start sending them viruses. They deserve it.
Old 06-14-02, 08:42 PM

my webhost allows me unlimited mailboxes, i'll just close the spam account and make a new one
Old 06-15-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by duy37
my webhost allows me unlimited mailboxes, i'll just close the spam account and make a new one
That's the best way to do it, but most people don't have webhosts, or unlimited aliases. For example, I have [email protected] that somehow got added to a SPAM list, so I filter everything sent to it and then double check every once in a while to make sure nothing real was sent there.

But since we're working with Yahoo! here, we know he doesn't have a webhost, but being so cheap these days, I don't see why more people don't do it. You can get great yearly rates and own your own domain - you can have an easy to remember name before and after the @ sign rather than [email protected].