Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Photoshop Help (Win98)

Old 06-14-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Photoshop Help (Win98)

I'm looking to make a folding brochure with photos. I'd like to do this in Photoshop in order to preserve the highest quality of the images possible. Would I be correct in assuming that I could achieve this by creating a brochure larger than normal to maintain higher resolution, then shriking it when it is printed would create a superior image?

If so, can anyone tell me if
a) there is a template for this type of brochure?
b) how to print it out at photo quality (at Kinko's?)
Old 06-14-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your assumption is correct. I'd recommend at least 1200 DPI, so for a 8x10 document, you'd need a 9600x12,000 pixel image.

A) No template that I'm aware of exists for this.

B) Kinko's has very nice phazer printers that will give you a glossy, magazine like quality look. They are rather expensive to use though. You will need the image in a photoshop readable format.
Old 06-14-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree with einTier. The best results you can get will be limited by the printer you use. The Lino 330 imagesetter I regularly use has a maximum resolution of 2540dpi. If my original image in PhotoShop is 5000dpi or 2540dpi it will still only print at the 2540 on the imagesetter. I'm gaining nothing by sending it a higher resolution file. The same holds true for any printer.

You don't need to do your brochure in PhotoShop to maintain image quality. PageMaker, Quark or Publisher will all maintain the same quality and allow you to do the layout a lot easier.
Old 06-14-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by danw
I disagree with einTier. The best results you can get will be limited by the printer you use. The Lino 330 imagesetter I regularly use has a maximum resolution of 2540dpi. If my original image in PhotoShop is 5000dpi or 2540dpi it will still only print at the 2540 on the imagesetter. I'm gaining nothing by sending it a higher resolution file. The same holds true for any printer.

You don't need to do your brochure in PhotoShop to maintain image quality. PageMaker, Quark or Publisher will all maintain the same quality and allow you to do the layout a lot easier.
Dan, good point on PageMaker, Quark, and Publisher.

You are right about being limited by the printer, but since I have no idea what kind of printer he'll be using or what the resolution is, I can't give him an exact size and DPI to use. He likely has no idea either, considering he'll probably be using Kinko's printers and not his own. I'd recommend sending as detailed a print as you can to the printer. If it can print 2540 DPI, then send it a 2540 DPI image. However, the other side to this coin is, if he sends a 2540 DPI image to a 300 DPI printer, he'll still get the best quality that printer is capable of putting out -- he'll have overexceeded the capabilities of said printer, by a long shot, but it's better than having a 300 DPI image and a 2540 DPI printer.

I chose the 1200 DPI mark, because it's not terribly difficult to find a printer that'll print that sharply, and with a phazer or dye sublimation printer, you'll still get quality prints even at "only" 1200 DPI. Notice also I said "at least".
Old 06-15-02, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the advice. My only other question is, if I do create a file at 1200 dpi resolution, how do I print it out so that I don't get a giant version of my brochure?
Old 06-17-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by filmerp
Thanks for the advice. My only other question is, if I do create a file at 1200 dpi resolution, how do I print it out so that I don't get a giant version of my brochure?
DPI is how you control how big the picture prints and is not the same as pixel size. I would say it's not related at all, but that would be stretching the truth a bit. One can be affected by the other, but they can function completely independently as well.

Lets say you have a 1200 x 1200 pixel image at 1200 DPI. Because the Dots Per Inch is set at 1200, this will print a square image one inch by one inch. Now, if you set the DPI to 300, and keep the pixel size the same, the image will now print at four inches by four inches. This is because the 1200 pixels are divided by 300 dots per inch, yielding four inches.