Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Regarding proliferation of e-mail viruses...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-14-02, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured someone in here might have the answer to this:

I just received a few e-mails, all which installed viruses on my system upon opening them (didn't have to open the attachment or anything -- upon opening them in outlook express, they installed the program in my \program files directory). This was cute, but I got rid of 'em pretty quickly. Now, I had no problem with this, until I noticed a new mail in my inbox: a "Returned mail: user unknown" message for someone on my contacts list. Now, I know her e-mail's been dead for a while, but never removed her from my contacts list. I haven't sent her anything at all recently. I'm afraid that when outlook opened this program, it mailed a copy of the virus out to everyone on my contacts list, but I can't be sure.

Has anyone heard of this happening? If so, should I assume that everyone on my contacts list is getting this virus right now, and should I e-mail them letting them know not to open any strange-titled e-mails from me?

Just wondering... FYI, one of the e-mail titles was "Japanese girls VS playboy" from a "Kenny", and I can't remember the other one, deleted 'em both.
Old 06-14-02, 12:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Regarding proliferation of e-mail viruses...

Originally posted by Moogz
Has anyone heard of this happening? If so, should I assume that everyone on my contacts list is getting this virus right now, and should I e-mail them letting them know not to open any strange-titled e-mails from me?
Yup, that's pretty much how they work and proliferate. I'm not sure e-mailing them would work real well though since that's the method they're getting the virus too. You could also call them if possible (and if it's not too late).

I'm going to move this to a forum that might be of more help.
Old 06-14-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can get a virus scanner like F-Prot that will monitor your computer and stop a virus before it strikes. I like F-Prot because it is no-frills and gets the job done. Norton and Mcaffee both hog resources and get all over everywhere. The way these viruses installed themselves is they attached the virus and an html file - the html file was nothing but a script instructing your email to open the virus.
Old 06-14-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting the Japanese one as well. Weird huh?
Old 06-14-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'll go on record as liking norton. i probably receive viritic attachments on an average of about 4-5 per day. norton has caught and contained every single one of them so far without any intervention from me.

it also scans my outgoing mail to make sure one hasn't crept in and attached itself to my sends as well.

it's real time virus scan keeps me virus free and i like that.

this has been a paid advertisement for symantec's norton antivirus.

cranky.
Old 06-14-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me wrong - Norton does it's job, and does it well... but at the expense of system resources. If you have a powerful machine it shouldn't be so much of a problem.
Old 06-14-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I just ran a scan, and the FixKlez tool, so I don't have it...but it looks like I might have...
Old 06-14-02, 12:45 PM

Thunderball, check your program files base directory, look for any exe or bat files that look strange.. that's where the Japanese one put 'em on mine.
Old 06-14-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
outlook is why there are so many email viruses
it's a crappy insecure program
Old 06-14-02, 06:29 PM

I remember trying to convince my parents years ago that "you can not get a virus from an email" back when it was true.

Thank you Microsoft, for making all the old hoaxes a reality! Where the hell do you want us to go today, damnit!
Old 06-15-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Einsatz
Thank you Microsoft, for making all the old hoaxes a reality! Where the hell do you want us to go today, damnit!
Yup, remember the old hoax that was like, "You don't even have to open the e-mail to get infected by this virus!!!" Well, now it's true, thanks to MS's bugs.

Shoddy MS software is the bane of my existence and responsible for 90% of the virus and security incidents I have to deal with each week at my job.