Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My games keep crashing..new sound card suspect?

Old 06-13-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My games keep crashing..new sound card suspect?

A few weeks ago I was playing Dungeon Siege until my sound card just went kaput. Since my dead crappy sound was built in on the motherboard, I had too purchase a PCI sound card. So I bought Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, had a local computer expert installed the sound card for me. Well, the new sound card worked great only now every time I played my Dungeon Siege I keep getting the game crash to Window desktop. I tried playing Diablo 2 and again it crash to desktop. Tried Serious Sam 2nd Encounter and you guess it , it also will crash to Window. Can anyone shed any light why I keep getting these games to crashes? I got my video card driver to the latest update, I tried checking Creative website to see if my soundblaster card need a driver update I could'nt find any on my card. I tried almost everything ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter. Greatly appreciated if someone can figure out this mess for me.

My computer is Hewlett Packard Pavillion 7950
1.2 Ghz AMD Athlon processor running on Window ME
128MB SDRAM
60.0 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
Nvidia TNT2 M64 graphics card with 32mb sdram
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 in PCI slot
Old 06-13-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your graphics card (Nvidia TNT2 M64) looks pretty old. That could be the problem. Make sure the onboard sound card is disabled VIA device manager. What happened if you played games w/o the sound card on? Did it work ok?
Old 06-13-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.soundblaster.com/support/drivers/

Try new drivers.

Also it could be that your HS/Fan is obstructed causing the Athlon to overheat during games. Happened to me. Open your case and see if your heatsink fan is working - you want to be sure you're not overheating your processor. The heatsink alone will cool your processor enough to run basic windows programs, but when you run games and the processor has to work hard, it'll cause it to crash the game. It's a simple fix and one I'd suggest looking into first. If it's neither of these problems, let us know.
Old 06-13-02, 08:19 PM

Is the Video Card integrated? Make sure your CPU isn't too hot.
Old 06-13-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I disable my soundblaster card and play the games without sound and still get them nasty crashes, so I guess you can ruled out my sound card. I'm guessing that it proberly my video card going bad . The video card is not intergrated, is on the AGP slot. It looks likely I'm going to have to get a new video card, I'm thinking of maybe getting the GeForce 4 card. Thank for your kind help guys, greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

before doing that i assume you went into the bios and tried to see if you could turn off the onboard sound card. If not try that then make sure the onboard sound card is the one that is disabled in the device manager.

in some motherboards you might need to change a jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard sound.
Old 06-14-02, 01:18 AM

If you are upgrading from TNT2 to a GF4, it seems like you were planning on repalcing your videocard anyway.
Old 06-14-02, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GF4 is a good video card... after you replace the video card and your games are still crashing, have a look at the Heatsink/Fan like I suggested.