Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Moron in need of some network assistance. Please help me.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-13-02, 03:28 PM

First, please excuse my ignorance.

I have been trying to figure out how best to create a network w/ two computers. I want to be able to surf the internet (cable), use a single laser printer, and access files off the other computer's hard drive. I would also like to play network games btw the 2 computers. It would also be really cool to have all of this wireless.

I have searched the threads here, looked at several other websites (Anandtech,PracticallyNetworked, etc.), and checked out online stores, but I feel more confused now than when I started.

What do I need to buy in order to get this all to work? One computer runs XP and the other runs Me. They are both laptops.

Thanks so much in advance. My head is really swarming from reading so many different opinions. You guys always have made everything so understandable for the typical technoidiot

Thanks again,
doug
Old 06-13-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You need a wireless Cable/DSL router like this one http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282388

You will need PCMCIA wireless LAN cards for your laptops like this one http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=289472

If your printer is already network attachable then you need a CAT5 ethernet cable to go from the printer to the router.

You need a CAT5 ethernet cable to go from the cable modem to the router.

Setup of Router:

First connect a CAT5 cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router.

You have to do one of two things depending on the brand of router you get and who your service provider is. If you have AT&T then they use the MAC address of your computer to provide service. Not sure how other providers do the service but I think they are MAC address based as well.

Laptop Setup:

You can do one of two things here...

One: You can have the laptops set up to obtain an IP address automatically when you power them on or...

Two: You can set an IP address for each laptop so you know what it will be. The Linksys router defaults to the 192.168.1.1 network and a 255.255.255.0 netmask. So what this means is if you have the laptops set to obtain an IP address automatically, when you power on laptop 1 it will get the IP address of 192.168.1.100...laptop 2 will get 192.168.1.101. Now if you power laptop 2 on first it will get the 192.168.1.100. So setting the IP address can be advantageous because you always know what it is.

Printer Setup:

This depends on the pinter. If it is network attachable (already has a network card in it) then you need to set an IP adress for the printer through the printer's menu. Set it to something on the "192" network if using the Linksys.

If your printer is not network attachable then it needs to be connected to one of your laptops via the USB or parellel cable. What you would do is right-click on the printer and select "sharing" and share it out.

Sharing Resources:

When everything is set up you can share the resources.

Mapping a Network Drive

If you want to share files between laptops and you don't want to keep doing the \\computer_name all the time then you can designate a folder or a partition on each computer as a network drive.

To do this create a folder and share it out or share out a partition. On the other computer right-click My Computer and select "map a network drive" enter the computer name or IP address (don't forget the \\ ) and assign it a drive letter. Also make sure to select "Reconnect at logon"

Once that is done that drive will always be there to copy files to or out of...just like a regular drive.

Well that should get you started...I personally don't suggest going wireless because your neighbors can steal your bandwidth, connect to your computer, and run a sniffer program and see every packet tht runs through your computers...but that's just me.

Last edited by palebluedot; 06-13-02 at 04:47 PM.
                    Old 06-13-02, 07:58 PM
                    DVD Talk Legend

I agree... go with Linksys. You can probably find it cheaper than that if you do a quick price search at www.pricegrabber.com. You can't go wrong with Linksys as far as routers go - their customer support is the best
                    Old 06-14-02, 08:02 AM

Muchos Gracious

Thanks a lot.

One more question. It might be a little while before I get cable internet from RoadRunner. Can I still use that Router to have a network without having the internet to share a printer and play games?

Thanks again,
                    doug
                    Old 06-14-02, 08:13 AM

Re: Muchos Gracious

Originally posted by dougshartzer
                    Thanks a lot.

One more question. It might be a little while before I get cable internet from RoadRunner. Can I still use that Router to have a network without having the internet to share a printer and play games?

Thanks again,
                    doug

Yep, it is a switch just like any other. You can have it all set up and when you get your broadband, just simply hook it up.
                    Old 06-14-02, 09:36 AM

Thanks so much

I really appreciate your help

doug
                    Old 06-16-02, 03:40 PM
                    DVD Talk Hero

palebluedot

Very nice explaination. I plan on doing a simular set up and that will come in handy....
                    Old 06-16-02, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Sdallnct
                    palebluedot

Very nice explaination. I plan on doing a simular set up and that will come in handy....
                    No problem. that was just actually scrtching the surface. Any other questions just post back to this thread.
                    Old 06-29-02, 03:49 PM
                    DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have a win98 comp hooked up to a cable modem, my xp comp is in the basement. i figure wireless will be the best way to go. but since the cable modem is at the win98 computer, there is no need to make that comp wireless right? both computers have the ethernet port, but i am confused by NIC and PCI. do i need both and what on which computer? so far, i think i need a wireless router that has a few ports, and some cable, beyond that, i'm still struggling.

thanks.
                    Old 06-29-02, 04:44 PM
                    DVD Talk Special Edition

PCI is the type of port that you plug the NIC into on a desktop computer. so if you already have the NIC (network card), that part is satisfied.

a wireless router will definitely do the trick. if you can't run wire between the computers then wireless is definitely better than phone line or "electrical outlet" home networking from what i've seen. you're correct about the win98 computer not needing to be wireless--it will be cheaper and faster to plug it directly into the router via ethernet cable.

so, if you go wireless you will need:
                    - wireless router
                    - wireless access point/card (for the xp computer)
                    - ethernet cable (from win98 computer to the router)

the cable modem will plug into the router. your win98 computer will plug into the router, and the xp computer will be completely wireless.

one caveat: if you or someone in your house uses a cordless phone, do a bit of research into wireless technologies and see which type of phone each one may interfere with. (some networks will mess with a 900mhz phone, but not a 2.4mhz phone, or others may do the opposite).
                    Old 06-29-02, 08:06 PM
                    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
                    one caveat: if you or someone in your house uses a cordless phone, do a bit of research into wireless technologies and see which type of phone each one may interfere with. (some networks will mess with a 900mhz phone, but not a 2.4mhz phone, or others may do the opposite).
                    802.11b (aka WiFi aka Airport), the most common wireless networking, operates in the 2.4 GHz range. That means 2.4 GHz cordless phones and microwaves are a no-no.
                    Old 06-30-02, 12:00 AM
                    DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the quick answers. about the possible interference, i think all our cordless phones are 900mhz, but there is a microwave that would be almost directely in the way. so what does that mean? no networking when it is in use, or could it cause damage?
                    Old 08-20-02, 10:55 PM
                    DVD Talk Legend

wow pale bluedot that is some detailed post.

i hope you or soomeone can help me also.

i have cable internet hooked up to the computer downstairs with xp installed.

i would like to set up the pc upstairs (win98)to be hooked up so it will be conected to the one downstairs for access to the internet through the cable internet and if possable to use the printer from the computer dwnstrs also.

doesnt need to be wireless because i dont want to spend alot of money but if not too expensive i will go wireless.

so as inexpensive as possable would be best.

if there is a web site that very simply goes through step by step i would be very grateful.

i really am trying to get the most info i can before i go to the b & m because i dont trust them.

i guess i need to do exactly what the thread starter wants to do exept with full size pc's.

and in very simple terms no compu speak because i wont know what that means.

thanks for the help.
                    Old 08-21-02, 01:03 AM
                    DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey palebluedot...

I tried the ipconfig /all command and a window opens but it flashes so quickly that you can read anything. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

I'm trying to install my USR 8000 router but i'm having major problems. USR has been slow and useless with regards to my email inquiries. Guess I have to phone them. But in the meantime i'm pretty sure that I have it hooked up correctly:

cat5 from nic to a lan port, cat5 from wan port to dsl modem. I try to access the setup config utility with the http://192. ... but it just hangs and does nothing. My isp says that I have to provide them with a MAC address first but I can't get any info from the ipconfig /all command since it disappears so quickly.

What am I doing wrong? Or can it possibly be a DOA router? Can you help a brother out please? Thanks.
                    Old 08-21-02, 07:00 AM
                    DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hey palebluedot...

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
                    I tried the ipconfig /all command and a window opens but it flashes so quickly that you can read anything. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

I'm trying to install my USR 8000 router but i'm having major problems. USR has been slow and useless with regards to my email inquiries. Guess I have to phone them. But in the meantime i'm pretty sure that I have it hooked up correctly:

cat5 from nic to a lan port, cat5 from wan port to dsl modem. I try to access the setup config utility with the http://192. ... but it just hangs and does nothing. My isp says that I have to provide them with a MAC address first but I can't get any info from the ipconfig /all command since it disappears so quickly.

What am I doing wrong? Or can it possibly be a DOA router? Can you help a brother out please? Thanks.
                    type cmd in your start/run line and then do an ipconfig /all. but actually, you'll need the mac off the router, not the nic. so that won't help you.

you'll need to figure out why you can't reach the router itself. i'd try pinging 192.168.1.1 (it looks like that's the way you're set up...). if you can't reach it, then you aren't communicating with the router. if this is the case, make sure there aren't any switches on the back of the router that are out of place (such as uplink/port type of thing....if it's set for uplink and you're plugged into it, you won't communicate without a crossover cable), make sure your cables are snug and that your card is recognized properly by your os.

cranky.
                    Old 08-21-02, 06:27 PM

I've also had troubles like this with the ethernet cable plugged into the port next to the wan or uplink ports on the router...plugging the cable into a different port on the router fixed it for me...