Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What is integrated audio and video?

Old 06-13-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is integrated audio and video?

I'm looking to buy a new computer and I've been browsing Dell but all the low cost computers have something called "integrated audio" and "integrated video" on the motherboard. What does this mean and will I be able to put old videoand sound cards into it? Right now I'm using a voodoo3 and a soundblaster live for my sound card. I wanted to put those in my newer computer (that I'm looking to buy). The reason I want a lower cost model is because I don't need to upgrade to the latest, this computer is a Celeron 300, so even going to 800 or 900 is a big improvement! Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-13-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Integrated means those functions are supplied on the motherboard. They will usually use installed memory to perform their functions. You can put your own vid/sound cards in provided you have room (available slots)

You may have to disable the onboard video and sound via the BIOS.
Old 06-13-02, 03:08 PM

Integrated video usually means there is NOT an avaliable AGP slot. Your only option of "upgrading" the video card will be via PCI slot. PCI videocards are more expensive and perform much worse. Whatever you do, do not get integrated video.

Integrated audio is fine and sometimes it can be hard to find a board that does not have integrated audio. PCI is the unversal standard for sound cards so upgrading it, if you need to, will be no problem at all.
Old 06-13-02, 04:40 PM

Its not always a bad thing. Some expensive motherboards provide it because they are designed to go into servers or workstations where 3d acceleration is not needed. But those offer agp ports as well.

On a cheap motherboard though avoid it. Usually it will eat up your agp or limited expansion slots.
Old 06-13-02, 05:46 PM

Note I said "most" not "all."
Old 06-13-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An arcane idea and something to be preferably avoided.

My old motherboard has an integrated sound chip set but thankfully disabling it and putting in a new card was fairly painless.
Old 06-13-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for all the replies everyone they have been very helpful! based on all the opinions, it looks like I should stay away from these integrated audio and video boards if I want to use my own cards, I went to a local computer dealer this evening and they sell motherboards and processors which I'm leaning towards now....I think I might go that route as it'll only cost around $250ish total to get a new board and 1Ghz processor which is plenty faster than my old one. The only thing hindering my purchase is that I'm now busy backing up 17 gigs of data because I'll have to format the drive for the new motherboard (I'm using win98).
Old 06-14-02, 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone they have been very helpful! based on all the opinions, it looks like I should stay away from these integrated audio and video boards if I want to use my own cards,
Huh? On board audio is fine, and if you chooose to avoid it you will severely limit your choices.

I went to a local computer dealer this evening and they sell motherboards and processors which I'm leaning towards now....I think I might go that route as it'll only cost around $250ish total to get a new board and 1Ghz processor which is plenty faster than my old one.
That is way too much unless you plan on overclocking.

ECSK7S5A $54.00 www.newegg.com

CPU AMD|DURON 1.1GHz (200Mhz FSB) - w/Heatsink&Fan Retail box $56 www.newegg.com

$110 total