Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 5.1 PC Speakers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-13-02, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get a good set of 5.1 speakers for my PC. I have a Soundblaster Audigy sound card so I feel I need to take advantage of it. Not looking to spend a ton but I would hope they sound better than my Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. I know creative suggests theirs on the sound card box but I doubt a $99 set of speakers are all that hot. I'm looking for something in the $200 to $300 range. Not sure if that's reasonable price range. The speakers are for all around purpose...music, dvds, and heavy on the gaming. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 06-13-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Klipsch Promedia is the very best in my opinion. I think the 5.1 is right around $300. I have the Promedia 2.1 and it sounds awesome.
Old 06-13-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, although you may not be too hot on Creative speakers, I picked up the Inspire 5300 5.1 set. They are quite nice, they look good and look to be well made. Soundwise, I think they do as good a job as anything else would. I really like that the volume/power/fader control is a seperate little unit so you can have the control at your fingertips rather than reaching for that front right speaker at the ede of your desk or underneath and behind the woofer as is the case with many speaker sets.

The sound on GTA3 and especially SOF2 is quite dynamic and these speakers hold up really well.

Spending more $$ doesn't always mean you get a better product, sometimes it just means you spent more $$.
Old 06-13-02, 01:34 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you really want to spend more $$$, get the Creative Inspire 5700 5.1 speaker set. It comes with an outboard Dolby Digital decoder and speaker control box. In addition, it has a digital input that will allow you to take advantage of the digital outputs on your Audigy card.

I have the Inspire 5300 set and I have been quite satisfied with the sound that it puts out. The only gripe on the 5300 is that there is no digital in. You can only use the analog connection from your Audigy. If having a digital connection is worth $200 more than go for it.

Another set that is great bang for the buck are the Logitech Z560 speakers. They are only 4.1, but they can blow the roof off your house.

-BT
Old 06-13-02, 02:17 PM

The only very good 5.1 systems are the Cambridge Soundworks (I believe) and the Videologics (very expensive). There is a lower cost 5.1 system, which I've heard nothing but positive things about from its owners, the Moonson MH 505 (about $150-$200). But I would personally recommend a quality 4.1 system, as they offer the best bang for the buck. You can look at the Logietch Z-560s (these will really take advantage of your audigy) and the Altec Lansing 641s.

Oh, and stay far away from the Creative Inspire 5700 5.1. Once you hear the higher end systems (see: Z-560s, 641s) you willl realize how bad creatives are in comparision.
Old 06-13-02, 04:48 PM

[i]

Oh, and stay far away from the Creative Inspire 5700 5.1. Once you hear the higher end systems (see: Z-560s, 641s) you willl realize how bad creatives are in comparision. [/B]
I'm starting to look at the 4.1 systems because you do seem right about more bang for the buck. Now the debate has switched between the z-50s or the 641s. I'm not completely ruling out 5.1 yet though
Old 06-13-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a set of Klipsch 5.1's and they kick serious ass. Logitec's 5.1 speakers also rock the house for less money. Outside of that I can't really say I'd stand behind any other set of speakers. Cambridge makes either really good or really bad speakers and it's a craps shoot. They make the speakers that Creative bundles with their other stuff. I would seriously recommend going to a computer store and listening to them yourself. Klipsch just made the most badass speakers and few have been able to match the sound that come out of them. I flipped when I discovered Klipsch was going to make PC speakers because I have their speakers for my home theater and I love them. Klipsch 5.1s are analog speakers though so if you want to take advantage of your digital hookup, you'll have to look elsewhere. I have an Audigy Platinum and I get 5.1 separation, but I had to install the proper drivers and spend some extra time configuring it just right so it would work. Outside of that this is the perfect choice. You can't go wrong going with Klipsch.
Old 06-13-02, 05:37 PM

Logitec makes a 5.1??
Old 06-13-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cyberock
Logitec makes a 5.1??
No - my bad... they make a 5 piece system. Not 5.1. 4.1 actually. Sorry. It still rocks your buttocks
Old 06-13-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Creative Inspire 5300 is another solid choice for 5.1 and at a decent price.
Old 06-13-02, 09:53 PM

i have the klipsh 5.1's too and while they do kick ass, they're too expensive. a 4.1 system is definitely more bang for your buck unless you insist on having 5.1 (like me). i suggest you check out 3dss.com for thier reviews and their forums.
Old 06-13-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Inspire Series by Creative is decent enough. The Inspire 5700 has a DTS decoder in it.
But if you want more, there's Videologic DigiTheatre DTS should be more than enough.
Old 06-14-02, 04:39 AM

You could also check out the midiland 8200s v2.0 which are going for around 200 or so now (I think) and have a dts/dd decoder. I got the v1.0 of these and they are great, I wish i could afford the dts/dd decoder that comes with the new ones.

- Toxygen
Old 06-16-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too just installed the Klipsch 4.1 system and listen to most movies through them, Im going through my Soundblaster Audigy card from my Sony Wega.......if I were gonna buy to have a 5th speaker th Klipsch 5.1s would be how Id go, but Id not rule out going with the 4.1s either. With a Soundblaster card youre gonna be able to do some AMAZING things with your audio. At least for me, they make watching my DVDs a new experience .
Old 06-17-02, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by nightmaster
With a Soundblaster card youre gonna be able to do some AMAZING things with your audio. At least for me, they make watching my DVDs a new experience .
I kind of get the gist but what changes do you make when watching DVDs?