Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to keep attachments from opening automatically in Outlook Express?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is there any way to keep attachments from opening automatically in Outlook Express?

Old 06-12-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been getting A LOT of spam lately with attachments that open automatically into some kind of Windows Media Player file. That's annoying enough, but even more annoying is the fact that I have some problem with my computer and every time I try to access a Windows Media Player file, my computer crashes. Therefore, these damn emails are crashing my computer before I'm able to delete them.

Is there any way to keep these files from opening automatically? Also, is there any way to delete an email without actually selecting it?

Thanks in advance. This is really frustrating.
Old 06-12-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boot, what version of IE and OE are you using?

Older versions had a MIME-type header exploit where attachments would be executed automatically upon clicking on an e-mail. This auto-execution is exploited by the Klez virus to propogate itself.

I would suggest upgrading to IE/OE 6.0 if you haven't already, and then get all the Security Updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Old 06-12-02, 08:41 PM

Try disabling the message preview pane if it's visible. (View > Layout, uncheck "Show preview pane")
Old 06-12-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Todd B.
Boot, what version of IE and OE are you using?

Older versions had a MIME-type header exploit where attachments would be executed automatically upon clicking on an e-mail. This auto-execution is exploited by the Klez virus to propogate itself.

I would suggest upgrading to IE/OE 6.0 if you haven't already, and then get all the Security Updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
I'm running IE 5 and OE 5. Not all attachments open automatically. It seems to just be these WMP files lately. I'll upgrade and see what happens.

Mr._Shred: I like being able to read emails in one window. Would having the preview pane cause some attachments to open and not others?

Last edited by Boot; 06-12-02 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-12-02, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Boot
Mr._Shred: I like being able to read emails in one window. Would having the preview pane cause some attachments to open and not others?
I'm not sure since I've never had this problem, and I also like having the preview pane open. It's just a guess that OE is trying to show the attachment in the preview (like it does for images) and as a result, the file launches automatically. If that's the case, disabling the preview should allow you to select the message and delete it without opening the attachment.
Old 06-13-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Boot
I'm running IE 5 and OE 5. Not all attachments open automatically. It seems to just be these WMP files lately. I'll upgrade and see what happens.
Boot, that's definitely the problem then. I didn't mean to imply that all attachments opened automatically. Just e-mails where the MIME header is carefully constructed to exploit the vulnerability in older versions of IE/OE. Upgrading to IE/OE 6 should solve your problem.

You can read about the vulnerability here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS01-020.asp

Because of the severity of this security hole (being able to execute arbitrary code on a target machine), I would definitely recommend that everyone upgrade to IE 6

Last edited by TheBang; 06-13-02 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-13-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd recommend just upgrading IE 5.01 or 5.5 to service pack 2 (which will fix this vulnerability) until they fix all the bugs with IE 6. Probably cause you less headaches in the long run...
Old 06-13-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright, I upgraded to 5.5 service pack 2. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 06-13-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update

I just got another one of those damn spams from someone with the same name as one of the ones that crashed my computer yesterday. This time I was able to select the message and delete it without the attachment opening, so it looks like the problem is fixed.

Thanks again!
Old 06-14-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lampei
I'd recommend just upgrading IE 5.01 or 5.5 to service pack 2 (which will fix this vulnerability) until they fix all the bugs with IE 6. Probably cause you less headaches in the long run...
what bugs? i haven't come across any. like to know what they are...

cranky.
Old 06-14-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just keep an eye out on this forum. There's usually about one every couple of days or so. Plus, I notice that we get more complaints from the IE 6 users about something causing their browser to close randomly or just not working correctly, than IE 5.01 or 5.5. I like to wait until things have smoothed out a bit with new software (seeing as it's not exactly a "must have" upgrade).