Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable modem question

Old 06-11-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cable modem question

Is it possible to 'split' the cable modem line into two so that I can get cable tv as well? Since cable modem only requires about half of the cable (in terms of usage), the other half I presume contains cable tv channels. If this topic is too controversial, let me know.
Old 06-11-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think so. there was an article in cnet about how people were able to get basic analog cable w/ the cable modem service but i can't find it. that is - pirating analog cable.

spliting it is easy. goto radio shack. i bought a cable booster (which i think is useless) and it supports cable modem service (something about bidirectional).
Old 06-11-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I've read (and I wouldn't know since I do pay for both) you can do this if the cable company hasn't installed a video filter on the line up on the pole (which there supposed to do). Pretty easy to check, just plug the line into your TV, if you get cable TV - no filter.
Old 06-11-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So you want to steal the analogue cable or do you pay for cable and you want a TV in the same room as your computer?
Old 06-11-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clemente
From what I've read (and I wouldn't know since I do pay for both) you can do this if the cable company hasn't installed a video filter on the line up on the pole (which there supposed to do). Pretty easy to check, just plug the line into your TV, if you get cable TV - no filter.
btw, i pay for both also. but i was mislead. when i signed up a few years ago, they told me i had to get at least basic cable service so i did. it wasn't until recently that i found out that i didn't need to. personally, i was a little annoyed when i found out. if i could get satellite, i would switch over right now (but keep cable modem service)

btw, i don't know how people pirate basic service.
Old 06-11-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by palebluedot
So you want to steal the analogue cable or do you pay for cable and you want a TV in the same room as your computer?
Nope, I only pay for cable internet. I don't have cable TV at all.

I can't check about the splitter right now since I don't have a TV. The reason I ask is there is a good deal on a TV Tuner card, but if there is a splitter I guess there is no point in spending money on it. Is there any other way to check whether there is a splitter on the line?
Old 06-11-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young

btw, i don't know how people pirate basic service.
What's wrong with basic service? I just wanna be able to watch CNN; I get all the others over the air anyway.
Old 06-11-02, 11:04 PM
X
Administrator

I don't think I need to explain this closing.