Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Suggestions for PC DVD sound setup

Old 06-10-02, 07:40 PM

Suggestions for PC DVD sound setup

Receiver, speaker and subwoofer info and suggestions are needed. I've been examining the possibility of making my PC DVD setup 5.1 because of the cheap prices I see advertised for 5.1 comp setups. What do I need and what are the best options for DTS surround and 5.1 on my comp? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-10-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. and if you're a heavy gamer or just wanna watch DVDs or both.

First, you'll need a 4.1 or 5.1 speaker system. I like the Logitech Z560 at 400 watts of power but that might be overkill for you.
Secondly, you'll need a 4 or higher channel sound card, like the SB 5.1 Live! which will be enough for watching DVDs and..
Finally, as for DTS, I don't think PowerDVD has that audio option, but you can purchase audio packs that include Trusorround, but WinDVD is the only software I know that has the DTS sound option.

Check out this site for more info http://www.tomshardware.com/
Old 06-11-02, 10:14 AM

If your sound card has a digital output (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, SoundBlaster Live!, etc), you could get a quality inexpensive home theater receiver (mine is a Denon 1600 I got off ubid for around $170), connect it to your sound card with a digital cable (coax in my setup) and use real speakers with it. This is infinitely more practical than buying a dedicated pc speaker setup.

Windvd and Powerdvd (I've used both) will pass the raw bitstream (DD or DTS) right out to the receiver, just as if being fed with a regular dvd player. The pc also passes normal sounds to the receiver so the whole setup could replace whatever pc speakers you have now.
Old 06-11-02, 04:41 PM

MichaelBlanton is right. I use a sound blaster live hooked up to my sony with regular speakers and Poweredvd. Just make sure to connect your sound card and dvd player using the spdif (digital)connection Works greeat for Dvds in dts and 5.1 and mp3s sound great too.
Old 06-11-02, 07:05 PM

1. Logitech Z-560s www.intel.com

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 www.newegg.com

or.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz www.newegg.com

3. WinDVD 3.0 or higher
Old 06-11-02, 07:47 PM

My current soundboard is a Sound Blaster Live MP3+. I'm not sure if it has the proper inputs. I'll check the manual, if anyone knows offhand please let me know. I can tell you that in the speaker selection “Live! Surround” is an option. Right now I have a normal non-PC receiver hooked up to my comp with two Sony non-PC bookshelf speakers. There's a catch though, I don't think the receiver is DTS/5.1/surround capable. We DO have a receiver that IS capable upstairs in the main den, and it's only hooked up to two speakers. Getting a whole fancy setup for normal home theater is expensive, so we never used the receiver to it's full potential. I could switch the two. Would PC speakers and subwoofers work in proper unison with a normal receiver and other normal speakers? If not then I'd have to buy a normal sub and rear speakers, correct? Any advice for cheap options with those? Also, I have two other normal Sony speakers (exactly the same as the ones hooked up now); I could use one of them for a center speaker even though they are the same as the front ones, right? Which is cheaper, perusing normal speakers or doing all comp speakers? I’d like to mix and match, but like I said, I don’t know if that will work properly.
Old 06-11-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On one of the other boards someone recommended me the Altec Lansings 541. I am in the same boat though. I am currently trying to decide on the soundcard and speaker setup among otherthings.
Old 06-11-02, 08:44 PM

Hmm… I've done some moderately extensive research since my last post and I've come to some conclusions.

First of all, regarding upstairs in the den, we actually CAN'T have the 5.1 setup because the room's so small. The rear speakers would be about 1 ft from our heads.

Secondly, my audio board isn't capable, so I need a new one. It's senseless to go with the regular home theater stuff now that I need a new board. There is a possible option though; I think the board can be upgraded to 5.1 with a decoder. How do they work exactly? Is it something of an emulator and not as good? From the decoder where does the signal go? To a receiver?

I think, depending on the decoder business, I may just have to get a new card and a PC speaker setup. I have an extremely limited budget (I'm 15) but I want something that can really perform too. $200-300 is what I expect to pay, but I really don't want to pay that much. Tell me; is the sound REALLY worth all that money? I've never heard it before, so I really have no clue. Also, is the center speaker the only difference between 4.1 and 5.1? Does it make a significant difference?

Thanks
Old 06-11-02, 08:52 PM

How is this board...?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp

Does anyone have it?

The Creative 5.1 stuff is cheaper though, correct? How are they?

Also, the picture of the living room here
http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02.../sound-01.html

Looks similar to ours. The couch is directly up against the wall and the speakers would be on the wall. What I'm asking is, do the rear speakers NEED to be behind you? Can they just be on the wall horizontal to where you are sitting like in this pic?

Again, thanks a lot for help/responses.
Old 06-11-02, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by innocentfreak
On one of the other boards someone recommended me the Altec Lansings 541. I am in the same boat though. I am currently trying to decide on the soundcard and speaker setup among otherthings.
I sure hope you mean the 641s.
Old 06-11-02, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Zenigata
How is this board...?

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp

Does anyone have it?

The Creative 5.1 stuff is cheaper though, correct? How are they?

Also, the picture of the living room here
http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02.../sound-01.html

Looks similar to ours. The couch is directly up against the wall and the speakers would be on the wall. What I'm asking is, do the rear speakers NEED to be behind you? Can they just be on the wall horizontal to where you are sitting like in this pic?

Again, thanks a lot for help/responses.
What is your motherboard chipset.

Do you plan on using headphones alot?
Old 06-12-02, 11:04 AM

I thought all Soundblaster Live! cards had a digital output. No matter whether it has onboard support for 5.1 sound. It's my understanding that the Live! mp3 was just a standard card bundled with mp3 software (I almost bought one once).

Are you sure your soundcard does NOT have a digital output?
Old 06-12-02, 01:08 PM

I have some Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers that cost me 170 i think
Old 06-12-02, 05:26 PM

I do plan on using headphones often. I believe my comp speed is an Intel 700 something. I looked at the manual for my soundcard and from what I gather the only way of achieving the sound is via a decoder car.
Old 06-12-02, 08:09 PM

If you plan on using headphones often, get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
Old 06-12-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by agent2099
If you plan on using headphones often, get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
Why is the TBSC better for headphones than the SB Live or Audigy?
Old 06-13-02, 03:31 PM

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Logitech Z560s. Is there are big difference from those- 4.1- and 5.1 for DVD viewing? What makes normal speakers higher grade compared to PC speakers?