Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the advantages to upgrading a video card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-10-02, 12:53 AM

Are there any advantages to upgrading my video card.

I usually don't play many games or watch many movies on my computer. But recently i bought Grand theft auto 3 and noticed how badly my video card handles the graphics. I'm sure the game has a few problems, and that's why the game doesn't run as smoothly as it should.

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my nVIDIA TNT2 M64 to a nVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 200. But if the only advantage to upgrading my video card is to have better graphics in video games, don't you think is little steep to buy a $110 video card to play a $35 game.

What do you think?
Is it really worth it?
Are there any other advantages to upgrading my video card?
Would the Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 200 really look good with my system?

My current setup is:
P4 1.8ghz
512 MB SDRAM
80 GB hard drive
nVIDIA TNT2 M64

Last edited by deluis; 06-10-02 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-10-02, 01:08 AM

You should definitely consider upgrading your video card with that system. The TNT2 is outdated technology, and the TNT2 M64 was the "value" edition (it only has half the memory bandwidth). I had one of these cards and replaced it a few months ago with a GeForce 2 Ti. The difference is amazing. You will notice improved performance in everything, not just games. If the cost seems unreasonable, check out the ATI cards, or the GeForce 2 Ti which is cheap now. Any relatively recent card will be better than what you have now.
Old 06-10-02, 02:20 AM

For the love of everything good, with those specs your TNT2 is a SERIOUS bottleneck. Definitely upgrade your videocard, you will get:

-Better Performance in games (not just prettier graphics, but better framerates, which ease the strain on your eyes)
-Higer Resolution Capabilities and better referesh rates -this again is a plus for your eyes
-Better image quality (your monitor will display more crisp graphics and text, for ALL applications: From simple stuff such as word processing and web Browing, to Photoshop, DVD movie watching, and videogames

I have to wonder how in the world you ended up with a system like that with THAT videocard Make sure you have an AGP slot as that TNT2 may be on board . In that case report back and we'll have to give you PCI suggestions

And you don't have to spend $110 on a new videocard. A Geforce 2 GTS would be a good enough upgrade for what you want to do. It's about $55 shipped from www.newegg.com . If you plan on playing future games as well, I'd suggest an ATI 8500 (only $100 at newegg).
Old 06-10-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

is it worth it?

I guess it depends. more and more the games will not play or look good on your old card. soon you will not find anything that will play except old games. If you do not care then the money is not worth spending on a new card. Also the older cards often will not look as nice in higher resolutions than the new cards.

As was mentioned even the Geforce 2 Gts-V card from newegg for around $55 will give you a huge upgrade in graphics capability over the old M64 card you have.

Some of us get the lastest and greatest and others just want a nice card that will do a good job. The Gts-v card will do a good job. If you want a real nice card you can join me in buying this

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=213953

for only $286 shipped

Only you can decide how much you are willing to spend. However you seem to have a nice computer with a real old video card. What will the Joneses think?
Old 06-10-02, 08:50 AM
Banned

I'll "upgrade" when my existing card goes bad. I do not see why I need all these new features I'll never use.
Old 06-10-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the same video card as well. I am betting we both have a Sony computer. The video card is the one weak link in the system. I was thinking of going all the way for the G4 Ti4600 or whatever the # is of the one that is like 400 bucks. I am still up in the air. I was able to play Metal of Honor without any problem. I am sure a new video card would be great, just a question of spending the money.
Old 06-10-02, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I have the same video card as well. I am betting we both have a Sony computer. The video card is the one weak link in the system. .
"You are correct sir"

I guess after reading some of the post, I might have been convinced to change my video card. As for the cost of the video card, I don't really mind spending the extra money to get the nVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 200 insted of the Geforce 2 GTS.

One of the things that got brought up was if the video card was on board or if it had it's own AGP slot, from the specs on the computer and from looking at the back of computer it seems to have it's own AGP slot.

Can anybody with the same computer confirm if this is right or wrong?
Old 06-10-02, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by deluis
Can anybody with the same computer confirm if this is right or wrong?
Just go to Sony's website and look up your model.
Old 06-10-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the model under yours with the 1.6. I looked inside my case and the card is in the AGP slot. I think a swap out would be easy. Overall I am happy with the computer.
Old 06-11-02, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I have the model under yours with the 1.6. I looked inside my case and the card is in the AGP slot. I think a swap out would be easy. Overall I am happy with the computer.
I'm also very happy with my computer. But once I add a new video card and a new sound card, i'll be much happier .