Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

how do i convert music off a dvd into mp3?

Old 06-09-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how do i convert music off a dvd into mp3?

i just bought the Blueman group dvd which has the music from the show (btw, the show is amazing and i highly recommend it - saw it in las vegas at luxor).

i'd like to transfer the music to a cd but can't figure out how the music is stored. anyone? it must be just stored as the soundtrack to the accompanying picture shown while playing.

there is an audio subdirectory but it is empty and it is not a pure dvd-audio b/c it plays fine in my dvd players.
Old 06-09-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Use SmartRipper and set to demux the AC3 from the VOB files from the DVD. Then use AC3toWAV to convert the AC3 to wav files. Then use your favorite burning program to make a CD.

SmartRipper and AC3toWAV are free and available on the web.
Old 06-10-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two questions:

What exactly is "demux?"

Are there any programs that do AC3toMP3 in one step?

Okay, third question.

Any program(s) that will rip a music or audio portion DVD straight into mp3?
Old 06-10-02, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
What exactly is "demux?"
Demux is short for demultiplex. Basically it just means separating a multi-part stream into its individual parts. In this case, you are pulling the audio out of the combined audio+video stream.
The opposite would be multiplexing, where you combine 2 or more streams into one.
Old 06-10-02, 08:20 AM

Here is a program that will do it all in one but I haven't played with it yet...give it a try. http://dspguru.doom9.org/
Old 06-10-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the info, palebluedot. i was able to use smartripper/ac3towav/nero to make the cd. it was a pain and the ac3 file was a single file extracted from the .vob file so it was a 60 minute wav. i'm glad i only wanted to do it for this 1 disc.

i didn't do a comprehensive test but it sounds pretty good to me.

i couldn't figure out how to use the second file - dspguru- you linked to. it looked ok - the formats and everything seemed to be right, but it kept just giving me an error message. not sure what that's about.
Old 06-10-02, 10:44 PM

mux....demux....mux.....demux....

Had a strange individual at my job testing cards. He would mumble that under his breath all day long. =)
Old 06-10-02, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by young
thanks for the info, palebluedot. i was able to use smartripper/ac3towav/nero to make the cd. it was a pain and the ac3 file was a single file extracted from the .vob file so it was a 60 minute wav. i'm glad i only wanted to do it for this 1 disc.

i didn't do a comprehensive test but it sounds pretty good to me.

i couldn't figure out how to use the second file - dspguru- you linked to. it looked ok - the formats and everything seemed to be right, but it kept just giving me an error message. not sure what that's about.
When you put your DVD in you notice that it automacially chooses the correct tracks to RIP. You should see a box in the middle that says track1, track1, etc... You can deselect all and just select the first track and RIP it. When done, deselect track1 and select track2, and so on. Just make sure that you change the file name each time you select a new track. That will eliminate the one big file.

As far as the other program, I haven't checked it out yet...I will do soon and report back.
Old 06-17-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i forgot to rip the bonus track so i re-investigated this.

it seems that the 1st 14 tracks are all stored as 1 long file. that is, under track 1 = file(57minutes or so). tracks 2-14 are empty (time =0), track 15 is a short song but not sure what that's for as it isn't one of the listed tracks. track 16 is the bonus track so i could rip that one separately.

i know that there is a wav clipping program, but it isn't too big a deal.

btw, it says it is dvd-audio also. i assume that if i had a dvd-audio player, it would just play music? my first dvd-audio? heheh

i remember i had a couple dvds before i had a dvd player. i'd just take it to the store to test various models before i finally picked one.

Last edited by young; 06-17-02 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-17-02, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by young
well, i forgot to rip the bonus track so i re-investigated this.

it seems that the 1st 14 tracks are all stored as 1 long file. that is, under track 1 = file(57minutes or so). tracks 2-14 are empty (time =0), track 15 is a short song but not sure what that's for as it isn't one of the listed tracks. track 16 is the bonus track so i could rip that one separately.

i know that there is a wav clipping program, but it isn't too big a deal.

btw, it says it is dvd-audio also. i assume that if i had a dvd-audio player, it would just play music? my first dvd-audio? heheh

i remember i had a couple dvds before i had a dvd player. i'd just take it to the store to test various models before i finally picked one.
Well very soon I will have a tutorial on how to do this on my website (in sig)...I will post back to this thread when it's done.