Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

home network printing...question??

Old 06-09-02, 09:11 PM
Banned

home network printing...question??

Hi guys,

I have a local workgroup network setup at my house via a linsys router. currently, 3 machines (A, B and C) connect using windows 98. we are able to share files and folders no problem.

tonight i shared out my printer (on machine A) so machine B could print to it. I went to machine B and added the printer from machine A. when it went to install the driver, it needed some files, which i copied over the network into a local folder on B. the driver completed successfully and i made the printer on A the default printer for B. i sent a test page from B and nothing came through (although no error messages).

i then sent a word file from B and it showed up as spooling in the printing queue of machine B and then it showed that it printed successfully in B's queue, but again, nothing is happening on the printer.

what am i missing???

thanks, Dave
Old 06-10-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It sounds like you did everything you needed. I'd reboot both the A and B and try again. Make sure you can print from A with no problems. You might want to see if there's a newer driver for the printer online.
Old 06-11-02, 05:10 PM
Banned

ok, so other than the driver...no one has any other suggestions?
Old 06-11-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What if you reverse the role? Share your printer out of B or C. Maybe you need to run Windows Update and need a spool patch or something.