Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cable Internet connection keep dropping out.....Help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-05-02, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Cable Internet for about amonth now and been pleased with it up untill 2 days ago....
My connection keep dropping out and when I click on repair, it will connect again. The time is vary, sometimes it will stay connected for few minutes, sometimes it last for couple of hours. What could possibly be the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated...!
Old 06-05-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does your modem stay synced? Do the lights on the modem stay solid (exept for activity of course)?
Old 06-05-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Odds are if you haven't installed any new software on your PC or anything, that it's a line problem of some kind. The Cable Company may have problems in your area. I'd call tech support and explain the problem.

Have you tried powering off the modem for 5-10 minutes and turning it back on? This should reset the modem and might fix your problem.
Old 06-05-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine did that for a while. I found out it was a lousy NIC.
Old 06-05-02, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Ben732
Odds are if you haven't installed any new software on your PC or anything, that it's a line problem of some kind. The Cable Company may have problems in your area. I'd call tech support and explain the problem.

Have you tried powering off the modem for 5-10 minutes and turning it back on? This should reset the modem and might fix your problem.
I've found and install some of the Cable/DSL speed patches.

Cable/DSL Speed Patches

Could it be the problem...? It seems to work fine for a month so far....
Old 06-05-02, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
Does your modem stay synced? Do the lights on the modem stay solid (exept for activity of course)?
Yes, the light stay solid...I tried to unplug the modem for about 15 seconds...I will try to unplug it again as soon as I get home and this time, will leave it off longer...(I'm at work right now)
Old 06-05-02, 01:40 PM

Re: Cable Internet connection keep dropping out.....Help!

Originally posted by money
I had Cable Internet for about amonth now and been pleased with it up untill 2 days ago....
My connection keep dropping out and when I click on repair, it will connect again. The time is vary, sometimes it will stay connected for few minutes, sometimes it last for couple of hours. What could possibly be the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated...!
I've been having the same problem in Lexington. Probably unrelated but who is your provider up there? ... I have a feeling Insight bit off more than they could chew went @home went belly up.
Old 06-05-02, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by tygloalex
Mine did that for a while. I found out it was a lousy NIC.
This computer is only a month old. I just bought it from Dell. It's a Dimension Desktop 4400.
Old 06-05-02, 01:44 PM

Re: Re: Cable Internet connection keep dropping out.....Help!

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

I've been having the same problem in Lexington. Probably unrelated but who is your provider up there? ... I have a feeling Insight bit off more than they could chew went @home went belly up.
I do have Insight Cable. So you think it is the Cable company's problem....????
Old 06-06-02, 12:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Cable Internet connection keep dropping out.....Help!

Originally posted by money

I do have Insight Cable. So you think it is the Cable company's problem....????
Well, i'll just tell you i'm having the same problem down here. i thought it was maybe just XP, but my computer downstairs with '98 is doing it too. It'll drop, for no longer than a minute or so, but at its worst it will do that several times an hour. I ussually experience it at night. Been happening for about the past three weeks. So it's not just you. I honestly think insight is just getting hamered. (also, i noticed that when insight switched to their own network and own servers, away from @home, that file transfers on AIM would no longer work, and that Yahoo messenger won't connect to the yahoo servers. For some reason insight's servers won't let me make those connections)

Anyway, to the point, I'm having the same problem. My advice: Suck it up for a little while and ignore it. My guess is that insight is just growing too fast for their outfit, and add that to having all the @home stuff dumped in their lap... It'll probably get ironed out soon. It could drop twice as long and twice as many times a day, and it would still beat the hell out of having to use dial up.
Old 06-06-02, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the info ClarkKentKY. It is doing it right now (4:52 A.M)
Old 06-06-02, 08:36 AM

If you're both having the same problem, perhaps it's the cable company.. I'd call their tech support. If no one calls, it'll take them a lot longer to find the problem!
Old 06-06-02, 01:33 PM

You got a point Ben732. I'll call them this evening when I get home from work.
Old 06-06-02, 02:03 PM

Their tech support is ... lacking. Be sure to mention you have a freind in lexington experiencing the same problem... Or else he'll just end up asking if your cables are plugged in properly. The run around i get with their tech support is horrible. And be sure not to mention if you have some sort of home network... they like to cut you off as soon as you mention words like "hub" "router" "second computer" ...