Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Grrr I was almost infected by a virus!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Grrr I was almost infected by a virus!!!

Old 06-01-02, 09:24 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: 11.6 miles away from Orange County Choppers
Posts: 6,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr I was almost infected by a virus!!!

I got a stupid email with an attachment. The email address was fake I believe.

[email protected]

EULA doc.bat

I opened it and scanned BOOM sircam virus.

I mean I get a lot of email and I am glad I smart enough to scan it.
Old 06-01-02, 09:26 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, but are you smart enough to know never to open attachments from e-mail addresses you don't recognize?
Old 06-01-02, 11:10 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: 11.6 miles away from Orange County Choppers
Posts: 6,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Yeah, but are you smart enough to know never to open attachments from e-mail addresses you don't recognize?
Yeah but sometimes when I sell stuff on half or it is on old friend ya never know.

I know never I did open the email but it was through yahoo. At least it gives me the option to scan first.
Old 06-01-02, 11:21 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 16,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that utilize Outlook Express, pick up a copy of Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and configure it to scan your E-mail upon arrival to your inbox. Voila, problem solved ...
Old 06-01-02, 12:27 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Longview, TX, USA
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thankfully the only virus I've had to deal with at all lately has been the Nimda virus. I got it from some file I downloaded from KaZaA awhile back, which was my own stupid fault for not scanning it before I used it.
Old 06-01-02, 12:34 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Soup Nazi
For those that utilize Outlook Express, pick up a copy of Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and configure it to scan your E-mail upon arrival to your inbox. Voila, problem solved ...
I got Norton systemworks incl antivirus but it keeps giving me a message that it cannot start the email protection -- (I use outlook express)
Old 06-01-02, 12:46 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 16,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kittee3
I got Norton systemworks incl antivirus but it keeps giving me a message that it cannot start the email protection -- (I use outlook express)
I'd walk you through the configuring aspect, but you get a few free calls to technical support with purchase. It would be faster and painless if you went that route ...

Old 06-01-02, 01:11 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok.. thanks... one of these days I will call them... puts it on the to-do list
Old 06-01-02, 01:49 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,912
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just don't open emails with attachments. If it's really important it will be resent.
Old 06-01-02, 01:52 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Bus
Just don't open emails with attachments. If it's really important it will be resent.
so true.. oh so true
Old 06-01-02, 01:57 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 16,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
Just don't open emails with attachments. If it's really important it will be resent.
Unless you know the recipient ...
Old 06-01-02, 02:07 PM
  #12  
Super Moderator
 
RandyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: shine on you crazy diamond
Posts: 26,038
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Soup Nazi


Unless you know the recipient ...
No. Since most worms use email address books, you probably will know the recepient.

The rule is... is this something you know what it is and are expecting it? And beware specially of anything ending in bat or scr or exe. Specially if it's masquerading as a pic or something else.

And personally, I would dump outlook.
Old 06-01-02, 02:11 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 16,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
No. Since most worms use email address books, you probably will know the recepient.

The rule is... is this something you know what it is and are expecting it? And beware specially of anything ending in bat or scr or exe. Specially if it's masquerading as a pic or something else.

And personally, I would dump outlook.
That's logical and does make sense. That's probably why I didn't think of that ...

What would you recommend utilizing in the place of Outlook Express?
Old 06-03-02, 01:25 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by thejammy


Yeah but sometimes when I sell stuff on half or it is on old friend ya never know.
For starters, immediately delete any attached files that have the following file types: .exe .bat .vbs
Old 06-04-02, 08:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 32,304
Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
wasn't there a web site you could go to, to have your computer scannered for virus' for free? Or was it a good free ani-Virus software?

I need to updated my ant-virus stuff, but never seem to get around to it....
Old 06-05-02, 06:45 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 1,558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
wasn't there a web site you could go to, to have your computer scannered for virus' for free?

I
http://housecall.antivirus.com

Powered by TrendMicro's PCCillin.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.