Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need video card and motherboard advice

Old 05-21-02, 07:04 AM

Need video card and motherboard advice

So I'm building a computer for my nephews that they will use mostly for gaming. It's been a while (3 years) since I built my computer, and I've been out of the gaming world, so I'm not sure what video card most gamers want right now. I'm looking to spend up to $200 on the card (preferrably less). Any suggestions?

I also need a Socket A motherboard for use with a AMD Atholon XP processor. I want to use DDR memory. Any recommendations on a good one? I've been looking a the Gigabyte GA-7DXR+. Any other recommendations?
Old 05-21-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

super hardcore gamers will urge you to spend more, but depending on what types of games they will be playing (and how old they are) the geforce2 gts-v from newegg (around $49 last i checked) is a great performer for the price. it'll play just about any games at a pretty high resolution. (i know the geforce4MX cards have come way down in price, but i really don't know how much better, if any, they are than other value cards out there)

definitely don't buy just "by number". a geforce4 MX400 series card is a lot slower than many geforce3 cards. it's a little misleading.
Old 05-21-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Geforce 4 TI4200 should be coming out soon and looks like the best card for under $200. Newegg.com shows it being around $175.

For motherboards, take a look at Abit's KX7 model. (I'm currently using the older KG7)
Old 05-21-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Need video card and motherboard advice

Originally posted by Kelric
I'm looking to spend up to $200 on the card (preferrably less). Any suggestions?
For only $30 more you can get a GeForce4 Ti4400 with 128MB DDR.
http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...?p_prodid=2116