Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which laptop should I get?

Old 05-20-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which laptop should I get?

After spending all day looking through adds and making computers on the 'net I have narrowed my search down to either an HP zt1175 from Circuit City for $1549 or a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S277 for the same price, also from CC. The Toshiba has a P4 1.6 GHz and the HP has a P4(M) 1.4 GHz. Every other option is the same. According to the salesperson the Toshiba's chip is the same as a desktop chip, while the HP chip is made specifically for laptops. This makes the Toshiba's battery life half that of the HP and it is a little thicker computer as well. This makes me lean towards the HP. Any advice? Any better offers on-line anywhere? Thanks.

-Chad
Old 05-21-02, 04:22 AM

Does anyone have either of these laptops and want to comment on how satisfied you are with them? I tend to just go off and buy what is right there, but with a laptop I want to be sure that I am getting something that I will be satisfied with, and won't have too many problems with. Thanks.

-Chad
Old 05-21-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have about 60 people out in the field that I help support with their laptops. From this experience, and other prior experiences with laptops, I will never allow compaqs or HP's to be bought again. We have some toshibas as well, and I don't mind those to much (I think toshiba is a favorite of X, just ask him ). We buy dell's now.

Dave
Old 05-21-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd be skeptical of a desktop CPU in a laptop unless the p4 1.6 is a lot cooler and uses less power than i think it does.

is there really nowhere else you found anything you liked besides circuit city?
Old 05-21-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
I(I think toshiba is a favorite of X, just ask him

We buy dell's now.

Dave
No, that would be me. X is the IBM geek

However, I only like Toshiba's business line. The regular bottom end Satellite that CC sells is junk like most other things CC sells It is easy to repair junk, but junk none the less.

For Toshiba brand look to the Tecra series.

I have had mostly Dell for the past 2 years and their laptops are not bad, not great, but not bad. Depends on the model and how it is handled, there are some basic design problems with a few of them. I like the fact that Dell laptops can be taken down to each component in a matter of minutes.

Overall I would recommend Dell laptop, but be aware they my be an issue or two you will need to work through. Good news is Dell is VERY easy to work with as far as computer companies go.
Old 05-21-02, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Eeyore
i'd be skeptical of a desktop CPU in a laptop unless the p4 1.6 is a lot cooler and uses less power than i think it does.

is there really nowhere else you found anything you liked besides circuit city?
Unfortunately after going through all the adds I realized that all the stores (Best Buy, Fry's, CC, Office Depot, CompUSA, etc...) all have the same systems. CC just has the best price. I still have to go by CompUSA and BB to see what they have that might not be in the add, but so far CC is the cheapest. I wish that I could get what I wanted in a Dell for a decent price, but the Dell equivalent to the HP was about $400 more expensive. Throw in shipping, and the fact that I know how UPS handlers handle packages (because I work there,) I don't really want to have it shipped. There was 1 VAIO that I was looking at when I was at Fry's, really thin, 12.1" screen, and it needed a docking station (included) for the DVD-CD-RW drive. I may look into that again. Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

-Chad
Old 05-21-02, 05:24 PM

Well, it looks like I am getting a Dell. I found that you can order with a student discount, which brought the system down about $200. It is still more than the HP, but oh well. I think I may go for it.

-Chad
Old 05-21-02, 06:40 PM

Good choice I also had a Toshiba Tecra model but changed to Dell and since then still using it.If can get the Lattitude models, much more better service!
Old 05-22-02, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Kumar J
Good choice I also had a Toshiba Tecra model but changed to Dell and since then still using it.If can get the Lattitude models, much more better service!
Yeah, I like the Latitude, but they only come with the PIII chip, and I really wanted to go with the P4 (M) chip, so, here is what I am going to order:

Dell Inspiron 8200
P4(M) 1.5 GHz, 15.0 SXGA+
256MB DDR (2Dimm)
32MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDA GeForce2 Go
20GB Ultra ATA HD
Fixed 8X DVD Drive
Modular 16X CD-RW
Ethernet, 56k V.90 Modem, etc...

The modular drive is what bumped me from the Inspiron 2650 to the 8200. I have a friend that is going to sell me his modular Zip drive too, so that is why I didn't get a floppy. (The 4100 has the modular drives, but it only has PIII, not P4) I think it is a pretty good system for about $1900 shipped.

Thanks again for all of your help. It ended up costing me a little more $$$, but hey, if the system will last longer/have fewer problems, then it will be worth it.

Oh, it seems that everyone I talk to has had problems with something on their Dells, bad drives, etc... Do you think that I am talking to the unlucky few? Or do the Dells just take a few calls to customer service to get it right?

-Chad
Old 05-23-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lots of Dell laptop deals have been popping up in the Hot Deals forum lately (for example ). I would wait a week or two and check to see what comes up.