Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I transfer files via NIC?

Old 05-20-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I transfer files via NIC?

Is it possible to transfer files from one computer to another via a nic card (one on either computer) without a router? I just want to tranfer from my desktop to my laptop. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-02, 09:13 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Can I transfer files via NIC?

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
Is it possible to transfer files from one computer to another via a nic card (one on either computer) without a router? I just want to tranfer from my desktop to my laptop. Thanks in advance.
No problem. Just get a crossover cable and set the IP's appropriately so the machines can see each other. Cool, huh?
Old 05-20-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Can I transfer files via NIC?

Originally posted by X
No problem. Just get a crossover cable and set the IP's appropriately so the machines can see each other. Cool, huh?
I'll have to ask you for more details on how to do this tomorrow...Is a cross over cable the same that I use to connect the computer to the DSL modem? And how do I go about setting the IP etc...I am a networking idiot!
Old 05-20-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy a cross over cable from CompUSA. If you not sure about setting up IP, load up the NetBEUI protocol.
Old 05-20-02, 09:47 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Can I transfer files via NIC?

I'll have to ask you for more details on how to do this tomorrow...Is a cross over cable the same that I use to connect the computer to the DSL modem?
I don't know for sure. What color is it?
Old 05-20-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Can I transfer files via NIC?

I'll have to ask you for more details on how to do this tomorrow...Is a cross over cable the same that I use to connect the computer to the DSL modem? And how do I go about setting the IP etc...I am a networking idiot!
For my DSL modem, the cable between NIC and modem is a crossover cable. I'd just use that cable to transfer with.

If you buy another cable, look for places other then Compusa which rip you off on their cable pricing. (Which is why I make my own network cables with bulk cable)
Old 05-21-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is black and it says "patch cable" on the insulation...Also, I have XP on one machine (the one I want to copy to) and Win98 SE on the other.
Old 05-21-02, 12:29 PM

Check out this site www.wown.info. You can either use a cross-over cable or use a hub with 2 regular cables. Hubs are pretty damn cheap these days. You might be able to borrow one from work if you ask the networking guys.
Old 05-21-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably not crossover, but you can always try and see. Or test and see if each wire goes to the same pin on the other end using a ohmmeter.

Crossover cable is just regular cable, but with some of the wires switched around. You pay twice as much for this.

Another way to go would be a cheap hub - that way you can use regular cables instead. I bought an 8port hub for $20 a while back.

Here's one for $14:

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/prod...id=88&pid=1670

This is the same place I got my 8port from.
Old 05-21-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shay
Check out this site www.wown.info. You can either use a cross-over cable or use a hub with 2 regular cables. Hubs are pretty damn cheap these days. You might be able to borrow one from work if you ask the networking guys.
Considering I work for me...that might be an issue...ANd if I had networking guys, I'd have them do it
Old 05-21-02, 12:43 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by asabase
Probably not crossover, but you can always try and see. Or test and see if each wire goes to the same pin on the other end using a ohmmeter.
Non-crossover cables don't have the same wires going to the same pins. Neither do crossover cables.

I could get you the pinouts if you want to check but black is not usually used as a crossover color.
Old 05-21-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Non-crossover cables don't have the same wires going to the same pins. Neither do crossover cables.

I could get you the pinouts if you want to check but black is not usually used as a crossover color.
Ok,, then I will give it a try and if it doesn't work I will run over to Circuit city and pick one up. Note: It also says "weblan" on the cable if that helps ID it at all.
Old 05-21-02, 01:42 PM
X
Administrator

If it's working your NICs should have their lights turn on when you plug both ends in. If they have lights. You might need to reboot if the lights don't come on to make sure.
Old 05-21-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok,, then I will give it a try and if it doesn't work I will run over to Circuit city and pick one up. Note: It also says "weblan" on the cable if that helps ID it at all.
Just don't let the sales people talk you into getting a regular network cable because it won't work the way you're trying to set it up. It needs to say Crossover Cable on the package.
Old 05-21-02, 02:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I bet the cable that came with your DSL modem to connect it to your PC(or in my case router) is a crossover cable. Mine is, and I believe it's either gray or black.
Old 05-21-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I bet the cable that came with your DSL modem to connect it to your PC(or in my case router) is a crossover cable. Mine is, and I believe it's either gray or black.
As soon as I get both computers in the same room I'll let you know...btw, how do I go about setting the IP's
Old 05-21-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it looks like the site i used to use for networking tutorials is kaput, but here's another one that looks useful as well: Network without a hub, How-To
Old 05-22-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

did you do it yet??

you could always get DLINK

anyway, I dont think you'd need to set up IP's... just use the same workgroup and share your folders, and use netbeui as the protocol.

Im using a hub so I suppose I cant help you much.