Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help with a phoneline network

Old 05-20-02, 01:51 PM
fidelcashflow

help with a phoneline network

I have a linksys home phoneline network with 2 computers currently on it. What do i need if i want to add another computer to that network? Do i just need one card, or do i need a hub? I only need to share cable access. Thanks for all the help.

*edit: also, would i need to purchase another ip from my cable modem service (i have @home)*

Old 05-20-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I'm not familiar with phone line networks, but upon looking at them on linksys.com it looks like they have a passthru like a modem does. I think this would allow you to link to another with out the need for a hub. You'd need a new card.

As for an IP.. if you're not doing any "internet connection sharing" then yes you'd need that. I doubt it'd be from @home since they're not in business anymore.

An alternate to purchasing additional IPs would be to get a device like the Linksys HPRO200. You plug your Cable modem into this device and then plug it into your phone line network and it not only allows you to share the connection on your phone line network, but it provides firewall type security.
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=28&prid=176

At least that's what I see on linksys.com...

PS - Remember to buy through the DVDTalk links. If you buy at amazon.com, there are some coupons in the dvd bargains forum.
Old 05-21-02, 10:18 AM
fidelcashflow

well if i currently have the HPB200 (which i do) how many computers can give access to? I have two with access already and would like to add two more... would i only need two more HPN200s which is what i am hoping... thanks

Old 05-21-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by fidelcashflow
well if i currently have the HPB200 (which i do) how many computers can give access to? I have two with access already and would like to add two more... would i only need two more HPN200s which is what i am hoping... thanks
As I've said, I've never used a phone line network, but according to Linksys's product page for the HPN200...

Plug in your cable modem or DSL modemís 10BaseT connection, then attach your Bridge to the nearest telephone jack using standard phone cables, and any PC on your phoneline network will be able to access the Internet.
Yes, I'd say Two more HPN200s and that should be that.