Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! Have Windows 98 - Int Expl keeps shutting down!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-20-02, 01:25 PM

I have Windows 98 - my Internet Explorer keeps shutting down!
When I head to DVDTalk or Marvel.com, or even a homemade webpage sometimes a window pops up:

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

There's a big white "X" in a red circle on the left and a close and 'details' butoon on the right.

Who the hell is the program vendor?

And WHY is the program performing illegal operations! Yes, I visit adult websites...but those only occaisionally shut it down in that manner. Why the others, the 'normal' websites that cannot possibly be.... 'illegal'?

This happens DAILY and I'd like to know how to be this irritating foe.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This could be a variety of issues, but probably your best bet would be to install IE 6.0 with all of its patches/updates and see what happens.

If not, you may have to to reformat and start clean... always the best way to go
Old 05-20-02, 04:09 PM

Mine did that a few times. I went to microsoft's website and downloaded a bunch of new critical updates and some security updates and upgraded my IE to the very latest version. I had not had any more problems until recently.

Seems now for some reason when I watch the live baseball updates on cbs sportsline my internet explorer is causing some sort of networking problem locking this computer out from my server. I have to reboot my computer to get internet access back.

So I got the latest netscape navigator update and set its home page to cbs sportsline and I only use netscape for baseball. I still use IE for most other things but I am beginning to rethink my stance on that....

-K