Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop Reccomendations

Old 05-20-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laptop Reccomendations

Did a search and couldn't find anything on
what you guys would consider the best laptop for the price right now. The tigerdirect deal on recertified thinkpads is intriguing to me. It has
Intel II 400 MHz
DVD Drive
128 Ram
10 GB HD
Lotus Suite
Windows 98
is this a good deal for $699?
I like the joystick cursor on thinkpads do any other Laptop notebooks have this instead of the touchpad?

thanks for any input in advance
Old 05-20-02, 01:36 PM
X
Administrator

I like the ThinkPads. I'm using one right now. And I agree about the TrackPoint mouse, I highly prefer it. I believe some high-end Dells and HPs have both types and Toshiba also uses it.

I didn't look up your model. What kind of screen? It's a little slow, but probably perfectly adequate, especially at the price. Can you provide a link?
Old 05-20-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure which model that is, but is sounds a lot like the 600E my company provides me for work. No complaints and very robust (it often slides around in my car unprotected and have never had a problem). The 600E was a VERY popular model for MANY company's, so there are a ton of them on the 2nd hand market. This is not at all a bad thing for it is easy to get updated drivers, batteries, hard drives, etc, etc.

I also bought an old 760xl from work for personal use when they switched those out It is VERY dated, and have been looking on and off to upgrade. I'm sure I COULD get use to ANY pointing device, but I'm totally hooked on that little red button!

If you WERE looking for something newer, I have read on this forum and other places that many of the 15" and smaller screened laptops MAYBE significatly reduced as more and more 16" screens are coming out.
Old 05-20-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is model 600X
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=M975-3022

hope that link works

I am in need of a solid laptop mainly to run Final Draft and Lotus on as well watch the occasional DVD and light net surfing. I have been using a Dreamcast to access the internet for a year + and I am tired of the limitations.

Last edited by Apocrypha; 05-20-02 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-20-02, 05:19 PM
X
Administrator

The 600 line was actually pretty nice. I see it has a 13" screen, so that's good. You might want to make sure it has enough resolution though. I would think you'd want 1024x768 on that and I know some of their models only went up to 800x600. You might have to buy a floppy if you want one too. I'm not sure if you have to share slots with the DVD drive.
Old 05-21-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called Tiger to get some specs on these
DVD drive is 6X
Monitor is High Res

for the price and what I will be doing with it it should be adequate.
X if you could point me in the direction of a good DVD player program for thinkpads I would appreciate. Any advice is welcome fairly new to notebook computing and DVD-ROM.
thanks again
Apoc
Old 05-21-02, 02:42 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Apocrypha
Monitor is High Res

X if you could point me in the direction of a good DVD player program for thinkpads I would appreciate.
What's "High Res"? You really should get the pixel dimensions, but 800x600 ought to be adequate.

As for a player, get PowerDVD XP. It uses the least CPU power and works really well on a laptop. I don't know where to get the best deal on it. Maybe Tiger will give you a bundle price?
Old 05-25-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again X thanks for the input, I got my 600 yesterday it has a nice big screen (1024X768)
Like an idiot I took the whole day personalizing this machine only to look at the HD disc space at the end of the day to find that what was supposed to be a 10GB is really a 1.98 GB
I am upset as this is NOT enough storage space for my needs nor is what I thought I was purchasing

Did anyone else grab one of these from the link I provided above?
If so let me know what kind of HD you got.
Wallowing in self pity
apoc
Old 05-25-02, 11:56 AM
X
Administrator

Complain to Tiger and see if you can get about $100 back. Then go buy a nice 20 or 30 GB IBM drive and stick it in.
Old 05-25-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Double check that the drive is paritioned correctly. When I bought my wifes laptop off of a corporate lease, it was listed as a 2 gig drive. It was actually 4+, there was just a bunch of unpartitioned space on it.

Dave
Old 05-25-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

1.98?

do you know how to get into your bios to check the size of the harddrive?

its possible that is just a 2 gig fat partition on a 10 gb drive
Old 05-25-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dave99
Double check that the drive is paritioned correctly. When I bought my wifes laptop off of a corporate lease, it was listed as a 2 gig drive. It was actually 4+, there was just a bunch of unpartitioned space on it.

Dave
Old 05-25-02, 01:20 PM
X
Administrator

I didn't even think of that.

If you find it's bigger that the 2GB you think it is, you could use PartitionMagic and resize it to the full drive without losing all your work.
Old 05-26-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am running Win 98 if anyone could help me out with links to or guide me through looking into BIOS for partitions or lack thereof I would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by Apocrypha; 05-26-02 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 03:25 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Apocrypha
I am running Win 98 if anyone could help me out with links to or guide me through looking into BIOS for partitions or lack thereof I would appreciate it. Thanks
Hit F1 as your screen says when you first turn on the computer to get into the BIOS. Then search for the hard drive configuration and see what it says about model and/or capacity.

You might be able to get a model number in your hardware properties under Windows too. Then the model can be looked up to find the capacity.
Old 05-26-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to know what command in DOS in type to take a look at BIOS and at the HD and possible partitions. The F-1 command doesn't work on my sys.
Old 05-26-02, 04:39 PM
X
Administrator

You can use FDISK. However I still would prefer the other methods I mentioned. You get no message when you turn on your notebook about pressing a key to enter the BIOS? My IBM plainly displays one on the initial screen.
Old 05-26-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't give me that I only get a _ and then a message about HIBERNATION FILE PRESENT

I know the F-1 command from my old desktop this system doesn't have it. All the easy ways to check the HD indicate that it is not partioned or bigger and only partially partioned, and a 1.99 GB HD. FDISK is for formatting if I recall but I can also use it to look at the current status, hopefully it works.
Old 05-26-02, 05:30 PM
X
Administrator

Did you just try F1 even if it doesn't say it?
Old 05-26-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay got into FDISK and looked at the physical drive there-
it is running FAT16 and has the capacity in GB listed in KB same as I had suspected. It will not allow for a partition and shows no signs of one being there. F-1 I tried like you said X and nothing I also tried TAB which works sometimes.
I will let you know what Tiger and the IBM rebuilders have to say about this.
Old 05-26-02, 06:55 PM
X
Administrator

You might try IBM's site for info about that model. They should have something about how to get into the BIOS.
Old 06-01-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fujitsu made an interesting laptop that was rebadged and marketed by Sanrio. There was also a blue version available.

Last edited by Startide; 06-01-02 at 09:00 PM.