Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Musings about Wireless Access Poijnts and Security.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-20-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts about this, I'd love to hear it.

Currently, I live in a house with cat5 cabling in the walls. I will shortly be moving into an apartment without said cabling. So, I'm wanting to move to a wireless network.

One problem. I'm used to having a very secure firewall, and a very insecure network inside that firewall. I'm not very interested in locking down every computer on the other side of the 'wall, because I enjoy using the computers as one big filesystem, and besides, that's what the firewall is for -- everyone inside my physical walls should be more or less trusted.

However, the WAP changes things a bit. Suddenly, my secure network has a gaping security hole in it. At least, if I put the WAP inside the firewall. So, I could put it outside the firewall, but then I'm looking at hooking a firewall/router into another router or buying another IP from RoadRunner. Neither are options I particularly like. Besides, if the WAP is outside the firewall, there will be no direct way for the wireless computers to access the non-wireless. I could deal with that, but I'd prefer not to.

I can't figure out any way for my wireless network to co-exist with my secure network, and I'm hoping someone here has some experience doing so and can solve my problem.
Old 05-20-02, 12:53 PM
X
Administrator

Get a wireless product that has high security like at least 128-bit encryption with constantly changing keys. Really hard to decrypt in real time (and therefore unlikely to result in the ability to place anything into your network) and I would think adequate unless you're doing national security type stuff.