Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions about Anon FTP on a server

Old 05-19-02, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Questions about Anon FTP on a server

Heh... I have some extra IPs. I need to set up some Anon FTP sites on a couple of domains. Since my domains were previously NAMED domains, I have to back them up, remove them, and then install them as IP based DOMAINs. When I did that with one of them, I was able to add ANON FTP to it.

But, what is next?

I could not access the FTP without a user name and password. So I set up a web user name as password to that domain. That worked. I was able now to log in directly using an IE browser to that site ftp://mysite.com

For some reason, I can't login anonymously. Now maybe that is a good thing anyway to require a username and password. It would be fine for my purposes.

But, all I see is a blank screen with some columns with these names: Name Size Type Modified which I assume would reflect files if the files were there?

If a customer were to want to send me a file using this, how would he do it? Would you assume people would have to use an FTP program? I have seen domains with directories you could upload to and download from. Or am I hallucinating?

I have these directories on the server:

/anon_ftp
/anon_ftp/pub
/anon_ftp/incoming

Can you explain how they relate? I would assume someone would send me a file into Incoming and I would share files on PUB?

Thanks!