Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I Need Help with Dual Output (Monitor and TV)

Old 05-19-02, 03:40 PM

I Need Help with Dual Output (Monitor and TV)

What is the best way to accomplish this? I want to have my normal desktop on my monitor, but I want to watch DVD's on my TV. So far all I can do is use the extended desktop and drag PowerDVD to the extended desktop on the TV. Can I do anything to get PowerDVD to automatically launch on the TV, or can I get the same display on both outputs?

Win98
Radeon 7500
AA Transcoder
Powerstrip
PowerDVD

Thanks!
Old 05-19-02, 03:59 PM
X
Administrator

You have to play around with the ATI display properties.

To see the same thing on both displays (and have the overlay visible on both as well), go to the Displays tab after pushing the Advanced button of the Display Settings in the Control Panel. Push the upper left button (target icon) of the display that represents your monitor and push the button to the right of that (two squares) for your TV's panel. Don't push the right or down arrows located below them. That should give you clone mode.

You can also get the ATI Hydravision utility to start apps on the screen they were last run but I can't give specifics on that as I haven't played with it much and I did it under XP.
Old 05-19-02, 04:19 PM

Maybe ATI has a similar feature (knowing the quality of the ATI drivers, I am far from being sure) but with my Matrox card, I can enable a feature called DVDMax. When I am in this mode, I can use my monitor as a normal Windows desktop but movie files (DVD, mpeg, avi...) will be played in full screen on my TV (so I can minimize WinDVD and PowerDVD on my desktop but still see the movie on the TV).

So maybe ATI has a similar feature that you could try.
Old 05-19-02, 10:38 PM

Thanks! I got it to clone. I'll play with Hydravision next to see about the auto-launch playback.