Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Audio problem...need help, please !

Old 05-19-02, 09:46 AM

Audio problem...need help, please !

I just bought a Dell Dimension 4400 P4 1.9GHz with integrate sound chip...when I hook up the computer to my existing speaker system...the sound is distorted/scratchy when I tried to play back audio files....

I'm using Sound Blaster Extigy and Klipsh 4.1 speakers...never had this problem with my old computer...I thought new computer suppose to be better....?

I tried to adjust volume control for playback and recording and still have the same problem...I used a studio recording program (n-track studio) alot and desperately need help....! Thanks.

Oh, I'm using Win XP Pro on the old computer. The new computer came with XP Home Ed. and I installed XP Pro on it (no upgrade).

Thanks in advance for any helps.

By the way, I would like to transfer files from my old computer to the newone...how do I go about doing it....I only have 1 monitor...what do I need to buy?

Last edited by money; 05-19-02 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a little confused by your post...

The Dell has an integrated sound card and you also have a Sound Blaster card installed?
Old 05-19-02, 11:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Can't help with the major query but....

Originally posted by money
I would like to transfer files from my old computer to the newone...how do I go about doing it....I only have 1 monitor...what do I need to buy?
.... I read somewhere that XP already came with a utility to do all this.

And if you back up your data regularly [], you'll already have most of the requisite floppies and/or CDRs stuffed full of files.

Otherwise, presumably a cable and one of the following should do the job: Doubtless the guys and gals here who do this kind of thing for a living will have their own thoughts - and may perhaps even provide a DIY/freebie solution!
Old 05-19-02, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
I'm a little confused by your post...

The Dell has an integrated sound card and you also have a Sound Blaster card installed?
Yes, the Sound Blaster Extigy is a external Sound Card and can be install via USB without having to uninstall/disable the existing sound card....

I used it like that with the old computer...and there is no problem.
I also tried to uninstall the Extigy sound card and use the integrated but the sound still distorted/scratchy...
Currently, I had to hook my old computer back up to use and the audio is fine...
Old 05-19-02, 01:47 PM

Re: Can't help with the major query but....

Originally posted by benedict
.... I read somewhere that XP already came with a utility to do all this.

And if you back up your data regularly [], you'll already have most of the requisite floppies and/or CDRs stuffed full of files.

Otherwise, presumably a cable and one of the following should do the job: Doubtless the guys and gals here who do this kind of thing for a living will have their own thoughts - and may perhaps even provide a DIY/freebie solution!
Thanks for the tips and links benedict....I've never back up anything before hehehhehe