Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best blank CD-R's

Old 05-18-02, 04:05 PM
Banned

Best blank CD-R's

Hey all....

We've hit panic mode...

I've been making Mix cd's of music for the past 4 years. I popped one of them in today to find that it had rotted. 8 of the CD's have all rotted!!!!!

Some of them are completely unplayable. Some have started to rot from the beginning and end but the middle songs are playable. Is this the usual way things rot?? I'm assuming that there's no way of saving them. I DO, however, want to back up ANYTHING i can and use a more reliable brand.

I think what I had been using is Imation and they had a yellow bottom. I've never had any problems with blue or green bottomed cd's but if ANYONE has any advice as to which kind I should be buying or which to DEFINITELY stay away from, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-19-02, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first thing you need to know about blank CD-R is that it's virtually impossible to tell what company actually made it based on the name of the company selling it. A lot of companies these days are trying to be more competitive by rebranding cheaper CD-Rs made in Taiwan by companies like Ritek and CMC Magnetics, both of which are kind of shaky.

I've found that one helpful tool is CDR Identifier, available free for download here. It's a small utility that will read the atapi layer and tell you what factory manufactured the CD-R in your drive.

That said, everything I've ever read has indicated that Mitsui is the absolute best and most reliable manufacturer of CD-R out there, but they are expensive. They cost about 65 cents each.

Close behind Mitsui is Taiyo Yuden. Very, very good and reliable, and more affordable.

Basically you want to look for CD-Rs that are made in Japan, not Taiwan. I currently buy Fuji in spindles of 50 at Best Buy for $22. They're made by Taiyo Yuden and I've never had a problem with them.

A couple of good online sources for blank media are http://www.cdratdiscount.com/ and my personal favorite, http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cdrsavings/cdrmedia.html .
Old 05-19-02, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any mirrors for that program? The website says:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /zaehler.cgi on this server.

when I try and download it.
Old 05-19-02, 05:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by asabase
Any mirrors for that program? The website says:
Dear friends of the CDR Identifier,

our CDR Identifier download page has been offline for a while. We have decided to discontinue development of this application.
Other projects are keeping me busy and the required effort to adapt the CDR Identifier to new versions of Microsoft Windows ™ has grown immensely.

Therefore we have decided to put the CDR Identifier, a project I had started just for fun, to rest permanently. We got it right the first time and deleted all source code. There’s no coming back.

We have received many requests regarding the CDR Identifier, and so we decided to put the very last version online again. If you decide to download it, please keep in mind that we are not supporting it anymore, and due to schedule pressure in other projects we cannot answer any emails related to the CDR Identifier application.

Thank you for your sympathy and your support in the past!

Frank Wolf

g&m IT-Beratung und Entwicklung
As asabase notes, neither of the two links currently allows a download. Checking the links atop that page they all go nowhere: it looks as if the page has been abandoned.

However, a quick Google searches gave this link which offers a variety of utilities including the one recommended above....
Old 05-19-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, that stinks that they've abandoned that software. At least I can depete the link from my favorites. Thank you, benedict, for finding the active link.
Old 05-19-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As far as CD-Rs go I have stayed faithful to iomega for years now and I have never made a coaster that wasn't my fault and there has been no degredation of discs over time.

I will host the download of that CD Identifier program for a litte while...get it while you can.

http://home.attbi.com/~mikehawley/download.htm

Last edited by palebluedot; 05-19-02 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I will host the download of that CD Identifier program for a litte while...get it while you can.
Great! Thanks, just snagged it.