Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Just Formatted Partition, Need Help

Old 05-17-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just Formatted Partition, Need Help

I was having some problems so I formatted my drive. Its partitioned with the C drive being windows information and the D drive being files etc. Well I formatted the C drive and I knew what would happen and that I would have to reinstall all my programs which were on D. But the main problem is that whenever I click on My Documents (which is located in D) it gives me an error that says access is denied. Is there anyway to get this back so I can use the folder again? All my important files were in that folder. PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
Old 05-17-02, 03:07 PM

What OS is it?
Old 05-17-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you tried accessing the folder from explorer? How about the DOS prompt?
Old 05-17-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry I forgot to tell you the OS, its Windows XP Professional

It won't work from explorer, and I'm gonna try going through the DOS prompt although I don't see how this will help becasue I want to be able to use the folder through explorer

edit:

Nope I couldn't get it through Dos
Old 05-17-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does "my documents" need to be on the same partition as the OS? maybe try copying the folder onto C to see if that works?
Old 05-17-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you saying everything on the d drive was previously in my documents? You can't access anything on the d drive?

How did you map my documents to another drive? Check and make sure you have permissions to the d drive in Windows.
Old 05-17-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CharlesC
Are you saying everything on the d drive was previously in my documents? You can't access anything on the d drive?

How did you map my documents to another drive? Check and make sure you have permissions to the d drive in Windows.
Not everything. I had my programs in the program files folder and I had no problem accesing that.

To redirect all I did was make a folder in the D drive called "My Documents" then had all links that go to C:My Documents go to D:My Documents
Old 05-17-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok well I figured it out, kinda. I got access to the folder but I still can't use most of the files or subfolders. They're all there but I can't access any but a few subfolders/files. Still need help, any ideas would be great thank you
Old 05-19-02, 03:56 PM

I haven't really used XP yet, so I am guessing at this. It sounds like it may be a access rights issue. Try this. Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator not Power User etc. Then assign yourself full rights to each specific folder and or file. I am not quite sure how to do this in XP. It is probably under properties.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)
Also check MORE INFORMATION at the bottom of the article about possible data loss.

Last edited by BubbaX; 05-19-02 at 05:25 PM.