Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Office 2000 (Excel) Saving problem.

Old 05-17-02, 10:15 AM

Office 2000 (Excel) Saving problem.

OK, I have a few problems. I cannot save anything in Excel. I am running 98SE and Office 2000.

When I first could not save anything, I uninstalled O2000 and tried to reinstall it. It wouldn't allow me to reinstall in, some error. I reinstalled 98SE and then O2000 and it installed, but still could not save anything in Excel.

I investigated the error message from the O2000 install on windows and found that I have a virus called Nimba.A. I followed the insrtuctions and removed the virus complately. Also reinstalled my Riched20.dll file that windows says you have to reinstall. BTW, I have Virus Scan but it did not find the virus and it is updated too.

So now I uninstall O2000 and reinstall it and the Riched20.dll file. Installs great, very quick and smooth. I can save in Word finally, but still cannot save in Excel. I ran more tests to look for other versions of the virus and it looks like my computer is clean.

The saving issue doesn't give an error. It just doesn't save anything. If you try to exit, it will ask if you want to save your sheet and if hit yes, it just keeps repeating the Q.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone experience this? It just started about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I've never had a problem that bad with excel 2000.
Have you tried saving it in a floppy disk, not on the hard drive? Just a guess. The virus may have changed some system settings, I'm not sure if this is a office or system problem. Does the same thing happen in other programs like word, powerpoint, wordpad, notepad, etc?
Old 05-17-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Try searching on the virus name, especially at Microsoft. It is an Excel Macro virus. It is rather simple to defeat, once you have the instructions. I remember that we had a big problem at work with this about two years ago, then everybody downloaded the patch for it, but I can't remember details.