Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

a quick question

Old 05-16-02, 11:02 AM
afi

a quick question

a quick question
im not sure this is in the right forum but here goes.

i have over 100 music video clips on video tapes. what i want to do is put them on dvd so its like a music dukebox so it plays random or plays tracks i select.
first i have to hook up my vcr to the computer. how and what hardware do i need?
then put it on my computer. what software do i need?
then put the clips from my computer onto dvd. i know i will need to get a dvd burner. what software do i need besides the burning software. i mean what software do i need to make the dukebox thing on the dvd.
also will the quality be better or worse after being from the videotapes to dvds?
how many clips can i put on the dvd? i know it depends on the length.

if this makes any sence and u could help pls email me
[email protected]
kat
Old 05-16-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: a quick question

Originally posted by afi
a quick question
im not sure this is in the right forum but here goes.

i have over 100 music video clips on video tapes. what i want to do is put them on dvd so its like a music dukebox so it plays random or plays tracks i select.
first i have to hook up my vcr to the computer. how and what hardware do i need?
then put it on my computer. what software do i need?
then put the clips from my computer onto dvd. i know i will need to get a dvd burner. what software do i need besides the burning software. i mean what software do i need to make the dukebox thing on the dvd.
also will the quality be better or worse after being from the videotapes to dvds?
how many clips can i put on the dvd? i know it depends on the length.

if this makes any sence and u could help pls email me
[email protected]
kat
There are several devices to connect a camcorder or vcr to your pc. I would think these devices have their own software.

I have no idea what a DVD burner would come with.

The quality will be no better than the quality of the tapes and I have heard that copying tape to a PC degrades the quality slightly.

You are right, depends on the length.
Old 05-16-02, 03:04 PM

Welcome afi!

For most computers outhere the means of hooking up video to your PC is through your video card. Many Macs have built in audio and video ins and outs. If your computer does not currently have any connections labeled for video in, I would suggest investing in a video card that does If you plan on doing this more often or get more involved with compiling and editing video, Iwould recommend getting a card that is actually optimized for video editing. Matrox is a name that comes to mind. These can be found in stores that sell computer supplies and in camera stores that also specialize in video equipment.

As far as putting everything together, this would require some form of editing software. Adobe Premiere and if you are using a Mac, Apple's Final Cut software are two of the most well-received and fully functional editing programs available. These may both be on the expensive side for what you are doing (@$500 for Premiere and $1000 for Final Cut Pro). I know there is less expensive video editing software out there but can't think of any names. You can many times find bundled packages of software and input/output cards. It may be worthwile checking into that.

Quality is determined at several steps. First at the original footage level. In this case VHS. This, for the most part, is our ceiling. Short of some potential color correction, it won't get any better. Next is capture quality. Your software and hardware seperately or together has settings that determine at what quality it will be recorded to your hard drive (setting this at a higher quality such as DV or Broadcast will not improve the quality). The capture quality determines the compression scheme and how much room the recorded footage will take up on your hard drive. Video is extremely memory hungry. Have plenty of Gb available for storage. You will probaly need to do this project in chunks. Next is rendered quality. Once your videos have been patched together in the editing software you will also tell the system what quality you want this final form put together in (remember it doesn't get any better than VHS here). I know that some of the very cheap solution packages out there are fixed in many of the above steps and will give you a poor final product or will give you very, very long render times.

Lastly is putting it to DVD. If you are routing to a DVD recorder you will be installing to your computer, you may have some extra steps to get it to its final form on the disc such as using an authoring software. If you are not planning on doing anything like graphical menus and buttons or adding surround. This process should relatively simple. If you are using a stand alone DVD recorder, and again are just planning on recording video and two channel audio, you will simply make the appropriate connections from the outputs of your computer to the inputs of the DVDR. You will probably need to assume the tedious task of manually entering track numbers for each video unless you do this ahead of time with authoring software.

There's what I can add. It looks like your work is cut out for you.

-Shawn
Old 05-16-02, 03:12 PM
X
Administrator

afi,

This is the third copy of the exact same thread I've seen. I can understand not being sure where to put it, but I can't understand saturating at least three forums with the same thread.

I've closed the two others. In the future please only post a thread about a particular subject in ONE forum. If it's the wrong forum we'll put in the correct place.

[Edit: Make that FOUR copies now found in FOUR forums!]