Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IE problem after installing ICQ

Old 05-15-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IE problem after installing ICQ

Hi. I have a little problem here. Ever since I installed ICQ on my computer, I can't dial in automatically. Usually, when I'm offline, I just type an address on my IE, and the Dial Up dialogue box will pops up automatically.

But after installing ICQ, the dialogue box no longer pops up. Instead, IE thinks that I'm online and try to download the pages, and because of that, IE tells me that "Internet Explorer could not open the search page".

This is very not practical, since I have to select dial up shortcut from my Start Menu instead of just pressing Enter to dial my Internet connection. I don't want to put any shortcut on my Desktop or taskbar.

Any help? I'm on Win Me, IE 6.0 and my ICQ version is 2002a.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Click on Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Set your ISP as the deafult --> Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present
Old 05-15-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did that. But this is strange... IE always shows that dialogue box when I'm offline, and then the pages changes to "Cannot Find Server"...
This is really confusing.