Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How can I save just the cropped image in photoshop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-15-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I opened up a file which I've tried to crop. However, the image saved with a white "shadow" where the cropped data once existed, and now looks like it has a stupid border.

How can I JUST save the cropped image as a JPEG?

Thanks a lot, photoshoppers.
Old 05-15-02, 10:37 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

im not sure i understand but ill try.

The white is what your background is set to. You can change your background color (before you crop) like to black if thats more to your liking.

OR if the problem youre having is object is not square or rectangular, then when you save as a jpg, it will force it to be square or rectangular. not much you can do about that. you can make a CLEAR background (any shape) by saving it as a transparent gif.
Old 05-15-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
im not sure i understand but ill try.

The white is what your background is set to. You can change your background color (before you crop) like to black if thats more to your liking.

OR if the problem youre having is object is not square or rectangular, then when you save as a jpg, it will force it to be square or rectangular. not much you can do about that. you can make a CLEAR background (any shape) by saving it as a transparent gif.
Well, I appreciate your input, but let me redescribe the problem.
I'm starting with a square image. I want to cut out, say, the border. So I highlight it, or capture it, or whatever and copy it via layer. I then delete the later, so I'm left with that little checkerboard design around the remaining image that I want. When I save this image, the checkerboard area becomes white. That sucks, and it's not what I want.

If that's still confusing, then maybe you can just tell me how YOU crop a picture and save it as a JPEG. If you had a photo you were trying to crop, and wanted to save the remaining image as a JPEG, how would you do it?
Old 05-15-02, 11:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

OK youre going at it the completley long way and you dont have to.

firstly, use the CROP tool. What youre describing sounds like the rectangular selection tool. The tool you use should look KIND of like a black diamond with a line thru it at a 45degree angle. at the (default) top left of your tool bar. If all you have there is the dotted line rectangle, then put your mouse over it and hold down, then select the crop tool i described. this way, the first square you draw sets the size of your crop, then double click. it should thro away whatevers out side the crop. No cutting or pasting involved at all.
Old 05-15-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
OK youre going at it the completley long way and you dont have to.

firstly, use the CROP tool. What youre describing sounds like the rectangular selection tool. The tool you use should look KIND of like a black diamond with a line thru it at a 45degree angle. at the (default) top left of your tool bar. If all you have there is the dotted line rectangle, then put your mouse over it and hold down, then select the crop tool i described. this way, the first square you draw sets the size of your crop, then double click. it should thro away whatevers out side the crop. No cutting or pasting involved at all.
WOW!!!

Man, you rule!! Thanks a lot, and I'll do my best to save Ferris. (whether its the band or the movie motto)
Old 05-15-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next: How to Rotate/Flip layers or selected data

OK, so now I have this cloud in the background that I'm trying to basically duplicate for the entire background. In order to do that, I need to rotate the selected part 180 degrees (I've already layered it via copy). The only option I see is to rotate the entire canvas, which I don't want to do. Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-02, 03:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

try 'free transform' under the edit menu. you can rotate it manually.