Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

flash 5 help

Old 05-14-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

flash 5 help

i've been tinkering with flash 5 and designing a new online portfolio for myself. i'm pretty much just learning from a book and some tutorials. i'm starting to run into some problems and am wondering if i'm even doing things right. do people design pages entirely in flash, or do you usually use it in conjunction with something like dreamweaver or similar html editor? to get flash to do evberything i want it to do is going to involve many, many layers and i'm starting to wonder if maybe trying to do everything in flash may be a little ambitious. is it normal to have flash pages with tons of layers? anyone know of a good resource online that might have a completed, complex flash page in raw form that i could take into flash to see how they went about breaking things down?
Old 05-15-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes you can make sites entirely using flash. dreamweaver or html would be used to either embed the flash site (swf file) onto the web page or to produce the pop up or full screen effect some sites use

the layers are pretty muched used to organize your site while you make it if you're having multiple things do stuff simultaneously. you can either use several layers or else have swf files load into other ones and then you have several swf's all working together to make one site. anyone viewing your final product will never know how many layers you used...its basically only used in creating the site itself

www.flashkit.com

www.flashmove.com

www.were-here.com

www.actionscript.org <---edited...i had the wrong address..its good now

all 4 of those sites have great tutorials where you can download the source files (fla's) and examine them. i find that is the best way to learn how to do things as well as reading books. the flash bible is pretty much considered the best book in flash but there are numerous other books the deal with more specific issues in flash. those sites i posted also have forums in them

if you have any more questions feel free to email me...my email is posted in my profile or the link for email above or else you can message me on msn messenger using the same email

Last edited by TaTTooD; 05-16-02 at 12:57 AM.