Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 2000 with multiprocessors

Old 05-14-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Windows 2000 with multiprocessors

Hopefully someone can confirm this for me since I can't find the answer from Microsoft TechNet.

I have a Compaq Proliant DL580 with dual processors. I got Windows 2000 loaded and all. I am going to add 2 more processors for a quad setup. Since Windows 2000 is already using the ACPI Mulitiprocessor PC HAL, I don't need to do anything else right? It's not like I'm jumping from a single processor to mulitiprocessors that requires the HAL to be changed.
Old 05-15-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which Windows 2000 are you using? Each version supports a limited number of processors: I think Pro supports 2, Server 4, Advanced Server 8, and DataCenter 32.

RD

Last edited by DivxGuy; 05-15-02 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 02:01 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Which Windows 2000 are you using? Each version supports a limited number of processors: I think Pro supports 2, Server 4, Advanced Server 8, and DataCenter 64.
I think you're right. Although I have no idea about the DataCenter.
Old 05-15-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Datacenter's limit was 32, but it's quite possible I'm mistaken. And I vaguely remember there being this thing where the number of CPU's supported varied depending on whether it was an upgrade from NT or new install. It had to do with some licensing issue.

Anyway, Zuffy, I've got no idea what the MS "blessed" way of upgrading would be, but my guess is the MP kernel would pick up the extra CPU's automatically. Of course, if you plug 'em in and the computer blows up, please don't hold it against me .
Old 05-15-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's Windows 2000 Server. Like I say, It's on dual processors already. I can't find it anymore if I need to reload the ACPI Mulitprocessor HAL or not. Guess I will find out either today or tomorrow. The good thing is that these 2 servers are not in production yet. I just want don't to rebuild the damn thing again.
Old 05-15-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Datacenter's limit was 32, but it's quite possible I'm mistaken.
Thanks for catching that - I had the maximum number of CPUs confused with the maximum supported gigabytes of RAM.

RD
Old 05-16-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, confirmed. You do not have to reload or do anything special if you're already using the multiprocessor HAL. Windows 2000 detected the 4 processors during bootup so I'm good