Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help changing a file type

Old 05-14-02, 03:29 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Need help changing a file type

Ok, I downloaded a mpeg and the person used a Split File Joiner. When I basically unzip it, the file name becomes joined, but it recognizes it as a TMP file? I then click on properties, and it comes up as General for the TAB, and it won't let me change it to a MPEG. Anyone know how to solve this? BTW, I'm using Win 2k.
Old 05-14-02, 06:52 AM

Are you sure you have all the parts? If so, just try renaming the file with a .MPG extension.
Old 05-14-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mr_Shred
Are you sure you have all the parts? If so, just try renaming the file with a .MPG extension.
Yeah, I'd just right click on it and choose RENAME and rename it with a .mpg extension...
Old 05-14-02, 09:03 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I have all the parts and I did the rename, but when I click on it, it still says TMP file.
Old 05-14-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dek
I have all the parts and I did the rename, but when I click on it, it still says TMP file.
Open My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck the "Hide extension of known file types." checkbox. Then go and rename the file.

If TMP is a known file type in your PC (it's associated with something) then when you rename it with this option checked, you just renamed it to say filename.mpg.tmp... You'll be able to tell if that happened when you uncheck that box.