Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IE problem -- opening links in a new window

Old 05-12-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IE problem -- opening links in a new window

Whenever I click on a link that causes a new window to open (or force this to happen by holding the Shift button down), the new window seems to "hang" -- it doesn't load at all.

This was happening when I had IE version 5 (around 10 minutes ago), so I figured I'd take the opportunity to switch to version 6 and that'd probably fix it.

Switched to version 6.

But the problem remains.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
Old 05-12-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have any popup-killing software running?

Also, I've experienced that problem with Netcaptor running at the same time.
Old 05-12-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Blake
Do you have any popup-killing software running?
Nope (not that I know of...)
Old 05-18-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem persists.

Is there anything, short of reinstalling Windows, that I can do to fix this?
Old 05-19-02, 06:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

If you think back to when this very first started, what software/hardware changes, if any, had recently been made to your PC?

(I recall using a "repair" function for IE myself in the past but because I've not needed it lately do not know whether the facility persists through later versions of that software or, indeed through later versions of the OS!)

Finally, does the information at this site help?

Last edited by benedict; 05-19-02 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-19-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First off, thanks for all that info.

Originally posted by benedict
If you think back to when this very first started, what software/hardware changes, if any, had recently been made to your PC?

(I recall using a "repair" function for IE myself in the past but because I've not needed it lately do not know whether the facility persists through later versions of that software or, indeed through later versions of the OS!)
The only thing I changed was adding a router. Not sure if I changed any settings when I did this (ok, so a friend did it), but I'll check.

I found the repair function, ran it, and restarted. Didn't fix it.

Originally posted by benedict

Finally, does the information at this site help?
I tried all the manual fix solutions on that page, to no avail. Also went to the first Microsoft help page listed there, and followed the directions there. No dice.
Old 05-19-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you went to the IE>Tools>Internet options and played around the security>custom box or advanced? There may be a setting somewhere, I'm not 100% sure on that, but try clicking restore default settings.
Have you checked for viruses?
Old 05-19-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by grr1
Have you went to the IE>Tools>Internet options and played around the security>custom box or advanced? There may be a setting somewhere, I'm not 100% sure on that, but try clicking restore default settings.
Done and done. Didn't work.

Have you checked for viruses?
Yes. None.

On the plus side, I just realized that I can hit Esc and then F5 to refresh the page. On pages that used java to spawn a new window, there's no other solution (can't copy and paste a java link).
Old 05-19-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm. You said this started when you added a router, are you sharing it with anyone else? Maybe that's what's the problem is. Have you thought that this is an ISP problem? Have you called them?
What did you mean by this?
I just realized that I can hit Esc and then F5 to refresh the page. On pages that used java to spawn a new window, there's no other solution (can't copy and paste a java link).

Couldn't you just click the refresh button on the toolbar to do this? Or was this done on the blamk new window that is opening?
At this point, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall IE 6, I don't think you should reinstall the OS.
Old 05-19-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
On pages that used java to spawn a new window, there's no other solution (can't copy and paste a java link).
try holding the ctrl key down when clicking a link that spawns a new window. does that help?

also, i assume when you installed IE6, you uninstalled IE5 first?

have you tried netscape to see if the problem persists?
Old 05-19-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by monkeyboy

try holding the ctrl key down when clicking a link that spawns a new window. does that help?
Well, it forces the link to open in the same window. This works, except with java windows.

also, i assume when you installed IE6, you uninstalled IE5 first?
Nope.

have you tried netscape to see if the problem persists?
Yes. Navigator doesn't have this problem.

I also ran all the Windows updates that I could from Microsoft.com.
Old 05-19-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm. You said this started when you added a router, are you sharing it with anyone else? Maybe that's what's the problem is. Have you thought that this is an ISP problem? Have you called them?
Not an ISP prob, since the other pc attached to my router works fine (when it's in Windows, that is).

What did you mean by this? Couldn't you just click the refresh button on the toolbar to do this? Or was this done on the blamk new window that is opening?

Well, the new window that spawns doesn't try to contact the site it's supposed to open. When I hit the Esc key, I force the window to stop "trying" to open the new page. Then I can refresh it and it contacts the site for the first time.

At this point, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall IE 6, I don't think you should reinstall the OS.
I guess I should uninstall IE 6 then reinstall it (see my previous reply). I'll give that a shot when I have some time, and report the results back here.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks again for all the suggestions, everybody. Uninstalling IE 6 (actually, reverting to IE 5.5) didn't solve this issue.

But...

I fixed my problem, finally.

I recently realized that whenever I did a Page Find (Ctrl+F) in IE -- I got a specific error message:

"Error 35: Incompatible version of the RPC stub"

So I did a google search and found this page (you don't have to d/l the foreign font to view the relevant info). Check out the post made on Fri, Jan 11, 2002, at 04:26:23.

I restored oleaut32.dll, but from an older version I found on my hard drive since I seem to have misplaced my trusty windows cd.

Fixed every problem I was having. Hooray!
Old 05-21-02, 03:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah the guy on the page I cited somewhat nervously mentioned that as a last resort. Glad it worked for you
Old 05-22-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q281679

Check this link out.