Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy an RCA-to-3.5 mm converter to connect speakers to sound card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-11-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi, I just got a 5.1 speakers set for the computer, but the digital connection is an RCA cable, which needs a converter to plug into the 3.5 mm mini mono spot on the Creative sound card.

I've since bought two 3.5 mm mini mono adapters, and neither of them were any good. I suppose I need something that specifically says RCA to 3.5 mm, but in Radio Shack, I could find nothing of the sort.

Really kind of annoying because I'd like to see how the 5.1 DD/DTS on the DVD-ROM is.

Online or a physical place...where can I get this thing? I am really having trouble finding places that sell this and nobody is even clear about selling the right thing, as many places online seem to be selling an RCA cord that turns into a 3.5 mm prong on the other end. I have the RCA cord to make the digital connection, it's just that the Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card's slot won't accept this RCA cord right like that.

I hope this isn't too confusing, and I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-02, 11:14 PM
Cool New Member

Could you tell us which speaker set-up your using and which SoundBlaster?

Old 05-11-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You mention a 3.5mm mono plug to RCA. Well, mono is mono, so most any cable should work.

Just for reference, a mono plug has a SINGLE black stripe and a stereo has a DOUBLE stripe.

Here's what you are looking for: 1/4" Phono (RCA) Jack to 1/8" Mono Phone Plug

Radio Shack Catalog #: 274-330

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 05-11-02 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-11-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Sonicflood is looking at the same place as I am, but all the audio converters could be found here: http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...1%5F000&Page=1
Old 05-12-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, gang. It looks like this should do it. The last two I got fit into the 3.5 mm slot just fine, but the RCA cord did not stay attached to it. This should do it...I sure hope so.

Thanks a lot.

And it's the Sound Blaster 5.1 Live card, and the Yamaha TSS-1B 5.1 speakers.

I really hope this does it, having already spent $5 on two wrong adapters.

THANKS!
Old 05-13-02, 11:58 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Coincidentally I needed exactly the same adapter yesterday. The Radio Shack near me didn't have the one pictured above and the guy there said they didn't have any like that. I looked around and found 2 adapters that by connecting them together gave me what I needed. In case your local Radio Shack doesn't have the single adapter needed in stock, I think the adapters I got were a Phono (RCA) jack to F jack and an F jack to 1/8" Mono Phone plug. These were needed for connecting the audio from an analog camcorder to the audio in on our PC for capturing video. The guy in the store said going through the 2 adapters might negatively affect the sound quality, but I didn't notice any distortion for this application.