Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How does one install a new fan?

Old 05-11-02, 08:58 PM

How does one install a new fan?

My system has been making weird noises lately. I suspect that is the cooling fan. It is a whirring noise. My system is a Gateway G6-333XL. I will probably buy a new system in 2-3 years. I just want to get the most use out of this one. I am starting to realize that it is near the lower limit for some applications to run (windows xp).
Actually, I realized today that the fan doesn't seem to run at all anymore. Can I purchase a fan at Staples or somewhere similar? I am not sure how safe it is to run my system for very long now. Please help!!

Thanks for your attention.
Old 05-11-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it a case fan or the heatsink fan?
Old 05-12-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if it is a case fan they are easy to install.

if it is a HS/fan on your cpu they are harder to install. Staples would not sell a HS/fan for your cpu.
Old 05-12-02, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would order it online from somewhere like newegg.com rather than going to staples. online you can research what you want, rather than get poor advice from someone in the store, and you'll have a much larger selection. also will probably be much cheaper for a better product.

example: this Enermax fan at Newegg (the first one on the list, the "thermal control") is a fan i've used several times with good success. it's pretty quiet and changes its speed to correspond to the temperature. $6 +$6 shipping. (a bit of a rip-off on the shipping, but newegg ships fedex, so you'll get it quickly, and $12 isn't all that much. i looked at fans once at bestbuy and a basic generic fan was $20. i had to laugh)

EDIT: this post assumes you will be replacing a CASE FAN
Old 05-12-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you opened the case and peeked inside lately? another thing that could be causing noise is the buildup of dust. it's probably not a bad idea to get some compressed air and blast out a bunch of that junk--although i'd be surprised if dust stops the fans from moving altogether.
Old 05-12-02, 08:09 PM

I opened the case and fiddled around a bit. Blew out some dust (no dust bunnies of any consequence). I did manage to get the system fan running again...still not sure what made it stop. It is still really noisy. So, it must be on the way to quitting altogether. I purchased this system in 1998 so I wouldn't be surprised if it is just plain worn out altogether. I'm going to check out Eeyores suggestion and get a new fan anyhow just in case.