Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What is OEM software?

Old 05-11-02, 08:53 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is OEM software?

I wanted to pick up Microsoft Office and checked ebay and some people have OEM versions for sale while others are stating that it is not OEM version.

On a side note, if I purchased some used software off of ebay and needed tech support would I qualify?

Thanks,

DAC
Old 05-11-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM stuff (hardware or software) was usually meant to be sold by a computer maker with a whole new system.

Retail stuff is meant to be resold in the retail market.

OEM versions are usually the same as the retail version. Retail version will have nice packaging, manuals, and if it's hardware, you might get some cables or something.

Dunno about used software and tech support. My only guess would be that the original purchaser would have support.
Old 05-12-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In some cases, CPU's for example, warranty for OEM units is shorter than the retail units. Last time I checked OEM CPU's will have something like a 1 year warranty compared to 3 years for a retail one (differs from manufacturer and product). Computer shops may offer longer warranties for OEM products on their own accord.

In many cases OEM units will just be in simple packaging without the extras offered in retail units. Retail video cards often come with packaged software (games, apps etc ...) whereas OEM comes with an antistatic bag, some drivers and that's about it. Retail cdrw's usually come with burning software, cables and screws, manuals and such. OEM ... pretty bare.

Used software ... you'll have to check up the company about transfer of tech support ... which I doubt will happen. You can always try. They may offer you extra tech support to keep you as a customer.
Old 05-12-02, 05:36 PM
DAC

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-13-02, 09:40 AM
Banned

Actually eBay doesn't allow you to sell OEM software in their site. So if you want it get the email address from the person from the auction (email them a question is the best way to do this) then report the auction to eBay and when it gets deleted then email them back with an offer for their software. Should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply that way.

Feel free to make any corrections as I've tried to auction OEM software before and eBay cancelled the auction (and this was a while back when changed the rules on me).

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-software.html

OEM software OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer

When computer manufacturers (OEMs) sell computers they often pre-install or bundle software with the computer. The purchaser often gets with the purchase the original software CD-rom discs or floppy discs in a jewel case or plain box. Such software almost always is licensed for use only on the machine on which it is installed and purchased by the user.

In such cases, you generally cannot sell the software to someone else unless you are also selling them the machine it came on. Anyone selling OEM software without the machine is potentially infringing upon the software company's copyright. Be wary of offers to buy software in jewel cases only with no other original packaging or manuals.
Old 05-13-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by icondude
Actually eBay doesn't allow you to sell OEM software in their site. So if you want it get the email address from the person from the auction (email them a question is the best way to do this) then report the auction to eBay and when it gets deleted then email them back with an offer for their software. Should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply that way.

Feel free to make any corrections as I've tried to auction OEM software before and eBay cancelled the auction (and this was a while back when changed the rules on me).

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-software.html

OEM software OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer

When computer manufacturers (OEMs) sell computers they often pre-install or bundle software with the computer. The purchaser often gets with the purchase the original software CD-rom discs or floppy discs in a jewel case or plain box. Such software almost always is licensed for use only on the machine on which it is installed and purchased by the user.

In such cases, you generally cannot sell the software to someone else unless you are also selling them the machine it came on. Anyone selling OEM software without the machine is potentially infringing upon the software company's copyright. Be wary of offers to buy software in jewel cases only with no other original packaging or manuals.
I thought you could sell OEM software on Ebay with hardware also being sold with it.

or am I wrong on this.
Old 05-13-02, 09:20 PM

The place that I get most of my hardware sells OEM software provided that either a motherboard, hard drive or CPU is sold with it. I'm not sure if this is dodgy dealing or not though.
Old 05-14-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

I thought you could sell OEM software on Ebay with hardware also being sold with it.

or am I wrong on this.
Win xp has to be sold with some kind of hardware as per the rules of microsoft. Most sellers will say that you receive an unwarranted peice of hardware. However, they rarely (if ever)send you that said piece of hardware.
Old 05-14-02, 08:06 AM

I don't know about software but with a lot of hardware, any warranty on OEM stuff is done through the OEM and not the manufacturer. Some manufacturers even have a different serial number scheme just to identify OEM hardware from regular retail.

If the original owner registered the software, then most likely you can't xfer the license/warranty. However, if they never registered, you MIGHT have a chance. However, if it's older software, the odds of you being able to register it now and have tech support are probably low and you'd have to pay for tech support anyway.

Either way, odds are you won't get free tech support unless you bought it from a retail store.
Old 05-14-02, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by gcribbs

or am I wrong on this.

I think you can sell it with a piece of hardware yes.