Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Newbie with NEWSGROUP question (RAR files)

Old 05-11-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Newbie with NEWSGROUP question (RAR files)

So I'm on easynews.com and find a VCD that I want to download.

There's about 5 .rar files that I have to download to watch this movie, and I download them into a folder on my desktop.

** But here's my question **

Once I have these .rar files in my possession, how do I construct a watchable .avi or .mpg out of these separate .rar files????
Old 05-11-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RAR are compressed file. They're much like a ZIP file. To open it, you must have the utility to decompress it. If I didn't wrong, WinZIP can do that.
Old 05-11-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When files are really large, people use a program like RAR to compress down the size, and also split them into to smaller parts. If you have all 5 files, open up the first one (usually it will end in .rar, the rest with have .r01 .r02 etc) it will combine everything back together, and give you the .avi file.
Dave
Old 05-11-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

download a free trial of winrar at http://www.rarlab.com/
Old 05-11-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Newbie with NEWSGROUP question (RAR files)

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
So I'm on easynews.com and find a VCD that I want to download.

There's about 5 .rar files that I have to download to watch this movie, and I download them into a folder on my desktop.

** But here's my question **

Once I have these .rar files in my possession, how do I construct a watchable .avi or .mpg out of these separate .rar files????
5 rar files is really light for a full VCD. (Most people break a VCD to around 10MB-30MB rar files) You might want to double check that you got all the parts.
Old 05-11-02, 11:52 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, download and install Winrar and then open up the .rar file. Make sure all of the rar files are in the same directory and extract the file in the .rar that you opened somewhere. It shoudl either be a .avi or video file or a .bin and a .cue to burn to a CD (in which you'll need cdrwin or Fireburner).
Old 05-12-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wiz
Yes, download and install Winrar and then open up the .rar file. Make sure all of the rar files are in the same directory and extract the file in the .rar that you opened somewhere. It shoudl either be a .avi or video file or a .bin and a .cue to burn to a CD (in which you'll need cdrwin or Fireburner).
Nero can use the .cue file as well to burn the CD.